Turning all the lights down low

    

Continuing my trip back in time through the album charts

10/12/21 : 2.0 - JLS



I wasn't aware that JLS had time to put music out with all their presenting gigs these days, so I didn't know this even existed.  I think it's also safe to say it's not the sort of thing I would have listened to usually - I've got nothing against them lovely JLS boys ("such nice young men") but well, it's all a bit bland, isn't it?

And yeah, it is - it's harmless enough but it's hard to imagine who'd listen to it other than JLS fans from back in the day.  At times it's all a bit "look at me - still a hit with the ladies" (even though most of them are now married with kids) but it's very mild compared to a lot of the stuff that's out there now.  I didn't hate any of it and I even liked "Looking At Me" - it's quite The Weeknd-ish.  But there's no danger of me ever listening to it again, I'm afraid.

We were down at #4 in the charts again this week, again with Ed, Adele and Abba ahead of us, again with a new entry and again with an album that managed just the four weeks on the chart - that's a small-ish but loyal fanbase for you.  I would say this is way better than Paul Weller's effort though.  Unfortunately, Wikipedia doesn't appear to be part of the loyal fanbase though - there's no entry for the album.  It's quite interesting reading the band's entry though to remind you how big they once were - their debut album beat Robbie Williams to #1 (and he was quite a big thing back in the day before he became obsessed with UFOs).  And people actually bought albums back then as well!

"Customers also listened to" Union J, Lawson (who I have completely expunged from my memory) and Rak-Su (definite strong similarities with this album).  I'm sure they're all lovely young men and I'm also sure they don't care in the slightest what I think of them or their music - if you like this sort of thing then I can believe it's a fine example of it.  But it's just not for me.

03/12/21 - Not quite my cup of tea
17/12/21 - Oh, how the mighty are fallen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves