There ain't no gold in this river

 

Continuing my visit to the top of the album charts with another little-known artist who desperately needs the exposure.

07/01/22 : 30 - Adele



Adele, you say?  Is she someone new?!?

Ah no - THAT Adele.  Like Ed, she's someone who manages to appeal to both my wife and my daughters - I am somewhat less enamoured but can admit there is a lot of skill involved (and I must admit that I didn't mind 21 at all, with the high points being particularly high).  I can't say I was particularly fussed on 25 though and so just haven't bothered listening to this (unlike half the country, it appears).  I'm expecting some expertly sung, but slightly dull songs - so, let's take a listen, shall we?

Well - I'd actually say it's not nearly as dull as I was expecting.  But not necessarily in a good way - a lot of it is a bit weird.  The opening track feels like it came out of a 1940s black and white film of the type they used to show on BBC2 on a Saturday afternoon (probably starring Deanna Durbin).  And the spoken bits on "My Little Love" are just cringe-worthy.  And there's weird reverb on "Cry Your Heart Out".  None of it is horrible, but I wouldn't say I particularly enjoyed it either- it feels very "ooh - poor me" in places and it's definitely lacking a "Set Fire To The Rain" or "Someone Like You" classic track.  I certainly didn't need an hour of it either - maybe if I gave it a few more listens then I'd get into it, but I just can't see me bothering.  I can imagine she'll put a good live spin on them when she takes then to Vegas and elsewhere - but I suspect I couldn't afford the tickets even if I wanted to go.

This album was actually #2 in the week in question (Ed was still #1) but it had had a run of 5 weeks at the top after its release and it hasn't been lower than #3 yet.  However, I suspect once it starts dropping down it ain't gonna hang around as long as her previous offerings - let's wait and see how right I am with that notion!

Wikipedia has a lot on the album (365 milliPeppers) a large proportion of which tells me that the critics disagree with me and that this is her best album.  Oh well, we can agree to disagree - I concur with them it's her most varied work but I just don't particularly like the variety.  It also hasn't done that well commercially - well, in South Korea anyway where it only got to #68.  Elsewhere it's done OK I guess - it was the best selling album of last year in the UK and it was only released in mid-November!

"Customers also listened to" Ed Sheeran, Silk Sonic, Imagine Dragons, Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X - which seems a slightly odd mix.  This album just didn't click for me I'm afraid - I can see that if you're feeling a bit "woe is me" (possibly as a result of divorce) then it might click with you, but otherwise I don't really see why you'd bother.  There are plenty of other female singers doing more interesting stuff for me, so I'll stick with them - I suspect Adele can cope without my attention.

31/12/21 - A little known artist
14/01/22 - I quite liked this!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves