The ship sailed out into the blue and sunny morn

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.08.19 : A Night At The Opera - Queen (1975)

One I've known and liked for a long time because my dad owned it on vinyl - and I've also met it on here before as well.  I remember the channel being somewhat divided on both the album and the group - it gave it three freddies and three crowns as well the discussion around that.  And I'm going to take another opportunity to include this link to a particularly fine version of one of my favourite Queen tracks which is on this album (and no, it's not that one).

21.08.20 : The Sunset Tree - The Mountain Goats (2005)

I seem to recall liking this but couldn't tell you anything more about it, so re-listened to it.  And yeah, it's that kinda Americana thing which I often go for - it reminded me of The Decemberists who I'm a big fan of.  I also like the album cover with a picture of a tree and a sunset - sometimes you just have to be literal about these things.  My channel comment was

I enjoyed that - particularly "This Year" which was a fine track.  It did stray a bit close to Adrian Mole at times, but I think he got away with it.

The channel gave it six thumbs up, one heart-cry-eyes and a couple of positive comments.  Wikipedia confirms that it's pretty autobiographical, largely focussing on the abuse he suffered from his stepfather during his childhood with quite a touching and forgiving dedication in the liner notes - "Made possible by my stepfather - may the peace which eluded you in life be yours now".  The album was well regarded by the critics, but the lack of comment on commercial reception suggests it didn't set the world on fire.

"Customers also listened to" The Decemberists (ten points to me!), Kimya Dawson and Okkervil River - neither of whom I've heard of but they do pop up quite frequently in this section.  I'm tempted to check out more of TMG though - apparently there are "a few" (20!) of his albums out there.

21.08.23 : Live Vol 1 - Parcels (2020)


I was on holiday at this time, so this is the first album on the list that I've not heard yet.  And I've REALLY not heard this one, unlike a couple of previous false alarms, so I'm looking forward to it - although I'm intrigued what kind of music a band called Parcels would play.  Wrap music, maybe?  (I'll get my coat).

No, it's kinda electronic funk-ish - a nice enough sound in small doses, but the whole album somewhat blurred past me.  Reminded me of Jamiroquai in places and there's some Daft Punk in there as well (who they've worked with, apparently).  I didn't need 18 tracks over 64 minutes though.

The channel gave this one thumbs up and a huge sigh of relief that someone stepped forward to nominate something at 2:30pm - holiday season is a tricky time with people rudely being away from work (like me)!  Wikipedia has nothing on the album, but does have an entry for the band which tells us the album was indeed performed live in the studio and no mixing was involved - which is pretty impressive considering how smooth the sound is.

"Customers also listened to" Roosevelt, Jungle and Kraak & Schmaak - we met Roosevelt earlier in this list and I seem to recall I preferred him.  This isn't something I'll be revisiting, I'm afraid.

I suspect I could get into The Mountain Goats, but the round has to go to Queen for me - if only because it reminds me of my dad and his gramophone player.

21.08.16 - Not a lot in common here
21.08.24 - An odd mix

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves