Every little thing is gonna be alright

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.09.02 : JESUS IS KING - Kanye West (2019)

Ah - another Kanye album to review.  This is the seventh time I've had the pleasure and I'd have to say it wasn't really what I was expecting because it's all a bit understated and dull, I'm afraid - particularly given it's Kanye.  My channel comment was 

As part of my Rolling Stone marathon, I had to listen to 6 Kanye albums - but I'd yet to experience this one.  And although there was quite a bit of variety across those 6, this is different still - it's not his best work for me, but it's also a long way off his worst.  I was amazed it was only 27 minutes long though!

The 27 minute thing still shocks me - he's not a man known for brevity.  The channel gave it seven thumbs up, one boo, two crowns, one new joiner and a lot of discussion as to which of his albums is the most controversial to declare the best (808s And Heartbreak for me).  Wikipedia has a massive amount on the album - 597 milliPeppers which puts it up there with Back To Black in joint second place.  And if you think I'm going to read it all, you're sadly mistaken - the critics gave it a mixed review, but the public lapped it up anyway with it getting to #1 in the US and #2 in the UK.  And PLEASE let it me kept off the top by something rubbish - ah, it was Kind By Stereophonics, which I can't say I've heard so I can't comment except to say it has to be better than this.

"Customers also listen to" Chance The Rapper, Kid Cudi and Jay-Z - no huge surprises there.  But whilst I don't mind a bit of Kanye at times (provided you pick the right album), there's no danger of me revisiting this.

21.09.03 : Exodus - Bob Marley (1977)

Another one I've met before - I can't say reggae is really my thing, but it feels like heresy not to like a bit of Bob.  As the channel confirms, giving it twenty-four (24!) raised hands, two palm trees and two hearts.  And then a lot of discussion as to whether we really needed the 2.5 hours of the special-deluxe-extended-bonus-anniversary version and how long an album should/could be (answer - not 2.5 hours)

21.09.06 : Mordechai - Khruangbin (2020)

I remember this being odd, without really remembering anything more about it.  I didn't remember liking it, but my channel comment suggests I tolerated it

I totally wasn’t expecting to like that from their name (there’s nothing going in with an open mind, is there?) but I didn’t mind it at all.  I’ve got no idea how I’d describe it though - “ambient world disco funk” anyone?

I can't say I'm tempted to revisit it from that though.  The channel gave it five thumbs up, one phew, two chill-parrots, three nices, one sunny and three new joiners.  Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album - they're American apparently and I was surprised to see it got to #7 in the UK.

"Customers also listen to" Kikigaku Moyo, Ghost Funk Orchestra and Will Van Horn - nope, never heard of any of em.  I didn't mind this though, although it is slightly odd.

As I say, reggae's not really my thing but there's a lot of pleasant tunes on Bob's effort and he was a decent all-round guy, so let's give the round to him, eh?

21.08.27 - Three fine introductions
21.09.07 - A strange mix of sounds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves