I never meant to cause you any sorrow

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.06.04 : Purple Rain : Prince (1984)

And another "two in a row" for previous listens - I really liked this one and was very unclear why it took me 36 years to actually listen to it.

The channel gave it nine heart-eyes, nine umbrellas, a lot of positive comments and a long discussion about separating the art from the artist.

21.06.07 : Notion : Tash Sultana (2016)

I vaguely remember quite liking this one - and my comments on the channel back me up here

yeah, i quite like this one.  they're quite talented, aren't they - "Sultana can play 20 instruments including guitar, bass, trumpet, flute, percussion and saxophone".

And I award myself 5 bonus points for the correct use of pronouns (which isn't always something I'm brilliant at - despite my daughters trying their best to educate me).  The channel gave this one massage, seven nices, two stars and a couple of positive comments.  WIkipedia has a couple of uninformative sentences on the album and tells us it reached #8 in Australia and #116 in The Netherlands.  A quick scoot of their Wikipedia entry tells me they (singular) are now they (plural) and in the process they've gone from strength to strength and have had a #1 album in Australia earlier this year - I might even check it out!

"Customers also listened to" - unsurprisingly, a load of people I've never heard of.  But I liked this and was pleased to be introduced to it.

21.06.08 : Róisin Machine : Róisin Murphy (2020)


This was a rare recent album that I'd already written up - I'd missed it when she released it, but I knew I was gonna like it from her previous output.  And I did.  It's still a horrible album cover though.

The channel gave it five nices, a couple of positive comments and the shock revelation that Hootenanny isn't filmed live.  I'm pleased to say Wikipedia now has a much larger entry than it did when I first visited the album - basically telling us the album was well received both critically and commercially.  I also rechecked "customers also listened to" since that failed miserably previously and it was nice to see that Moloko now pop up, along with Hercules and Love Affair, Anna Calvi and Hot Chip - all of whom are definitely in the same area.

All in all, a very pleasing set of albums - I think the round probably has to go to Prince for longevity if nothing else, but the other two can feel disappointed at having come up against such strong competition.

21.06.01 - An important question
21.06.09 - Not the best round for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves