We were kind of feral, wicked, little machines

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.05.26 : Absolute Pleasure (Live) : Electric Six (2012)

I remember enjoying this way more than I was expecting - and the channel write-up confirms this...

I was aware of "Danger! High Voltage!" (which is a fine track) and "Gay Bar" (which is not quite so fine) but can't say I was familiar with anything else from their repertoire - I was expecting mild amusement which I would quickly tire of.  But, it's a surprisingly tight and skilful set which I found pleasantly listenable with more variety than I was expecting (although not a lot more, if we're being honest) - and I'd be tempted to go and see them live after listening to it.  But if I was the drummer, I'd be so "I DO HAVE A NAME!!!"

...but I'd forgotten that the channel had to explain to me that the drummer was actually called "My Drummer" (apparently they've got a bit of history in this department with Percussion World, Two Handed Bob and Hyperkube Bonanza all having featured on the sticks).  The album was rewarded with five 100s, five zaps and an awful lot of discussion around exactly how drunk the singer was when various people saw them live.  Wikipedia has the following information on the album - "Absolute Pleasure is a live album by Detroit rock band Electric Six. It is composed of recordings from shows at both First Avenue in Minneapolis, Minnesota and the Double Door in Chicago, Illinois".  It also documents the existence of Absolute Treasure, a live film from a concert in 2013 - which I might be tempted by if I was in the mood for it.

"Customers also listened to" - quite bizarrely I'm unable to tell you, because the album has disappeared from Amazon.  It was there five months ago, so who knows what's happened.  Overall, I'd say this was a pleasant surprise (but I've not felt the need to revisit it since).

21.05.27 : Little Machines : Lights (2014)


This is the first one I've listened to that I've completely forgotten about - let's hope my channel write-up jogs my memory...

Not an artist was previously aware of, the splendidly monikered Lights Poxleitner-Bokan is pretty much right up my street - I liked it.  Her voice and delivery reminded me of Ellie Goulding, but I generally preferred her tracks to the stuff Ellie puts out.  Other artists that sprang to mind were early Grimes and Little Boots, but slightly smoother than their offerings.   All in all, a nice discovery - cheers!

Oh - turns out I liked it.  I guess that warrants a relisten.  And yeah, I liked it again (and I'm still getting strong Ellie Goulding vibes) so hopefully I'll remember that next time I come across her.  The channel gave this three thumbs up and told me she really sounds like Coeur de Pirate - and yeah, I can see that as well.  Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album but tells me very little other than the album was considerably more successful than I was expecting - #5 in Canada and #34 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Dragonette, Tegan and Sara, Mystic and Metric - some of whom I've heard of and some not.  But, despite having forgotten all about it, I liked this - and will like it again when I'm reminded it exists in six months time.

21.05.28 : Passive Me, Aggressive You : The Naked And The Famous (2010)


This was one I'd forgotten I knew (at least one track off it, anyway) - but my comment was somewhat brief...

Lordy - i've not heard this in ages.  Thanks for reminding me how much I love "Punching In A Dream"!

But despite my brevity, I liked it a lot as it took me back to a time I was listening to a lot of music (as they all did in this round).  It's a cool album cover as well.  The channel gave it three stars, two thumbs up, a few positive comments about the album, more positive comments about SSX and a new joiner.  As with the previous album, Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album which also tells me very little other than the album was slightly more successful that I was expected - #1 in NZ (with total sales of 7.5k- it's not the biggest country!), #25 in the UK and #91 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of - and M83, who are very much in the same area.  I generally liked this though - but "Punching In A Dream" is some way ahead of the field in my book.

So we've got one album I heard back in the day, one group I was aware of and one I was completely ignorant of - all within a four year time span.  And I think I'm giving it to the album I'd never heard and I'd then forgotten I'd heard - I look forward to re-enjoying it from a position of complete ignorance for the rest of my days.  So well done to Lights Poxleitner-Bokan!

21.05.21 - An arty selection
21.06.01 - An important question

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves