What you run from, you end up chasing

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.06.09 : Electric : Paul Rodgers (2000)

One I remember not being particularly enamoured with and my comment in the channel would back that up...

Admirable rather than enjoyable for me, but the man's certainly lived an interesting life!

I'm also very unconvinced by the album cover - it's not a good look for me.  The channel gave this (deep breath) four thumbs up, one OK, two bs, two os, two 0s, two ms, three ss (that's a plural s, not some kind of SS thing) and one rust - they'd obviously had their Shredded Wheat that morning.  But after that they were tired, and mentioned it no further.  Wikipedia has a couple of uninformative sentences on the album that do little to increase anyone's understanding.  His entry is a lot more interesting - he's worked as a singer for hire from 1969 with Free, Bad Company, The Firm, The Law and Queen as well as having put out 5 studio albums and 7 live albums, which seems like an odd split.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of, but I have to admit I'm intrigued to know what Spooky Tooth sound like.  Coming back to Mr Rodgers, he's obviously a talented guy but he's not doing stuff that overly interests me, I'm afraid.

21.06.10 : IGOR : Tyler, The Creator (2019)


Can't say this stuck in the memory greatly - I'm assuming it fell into the Kendrick Lamarr/Frank Ocean "I can't really see what you're trying to do here" bracket for me.  And yeah - I back myself up in the channel

Tyler's one of those artists I feel I should like, but I always find myself thinking "what's the actual point to this?" (see also Kendrick Lamar, Frank Ocean, Childish Gambino).  I hear Theresa May's a fan though...

The channel gave this four raised hands, two nices, one cowboy hat, one thumbs up, a couple of positive comments, one "well - that was a journey" (which could go either way) which and one leaver.  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album, but most of it is surprisingly dull.  I had a brief hope for some excitement when I saw there was a controversy section, but this was because it won the Grammy for Best Rap Album and Tyler considered it to be a pop album, so he was a bit miffed.  Ho hum, eh?  It was a surprisingly successful album though, #1 in the US and #4 in the UK - which I'd have to say somewhat mystifies me.

"Customers also listened to" Childish Gambino, Frank Ocean and Kendrick Lamar - the full set of pointless artists for me.  I know this kinda stuff has a lot of fans but I'm afraid I'm missing something.  Oh well, never mind eh?

21.06.11 : Make Me Love You : PVT (2005)


No memories of this at all and my channel comment doesn't entirely help...

A band and album I've never heard of and I didn't mind it, if not exactly considering it to be essential listening.  However, the really important thing to take away from this is that, when Googling to find out more about the band, you must under no circumstances look at the urban dictionary entry for PVT...

I did revisit the album to remind myself of the inconsequential beepiness of it all and it's fine, but no more than that - but I did not revisit urban dictionary (I'm a wise man).  The channel gave this one thumbs up, one nice and a couple of positive comments.  Wikipedia tells me this was their debut album and was nominated as the Australian Album Of The Year - so obviously the first critical comment they include is from "an Amazon.com editor" which seems somewhat bizarre ("an ecstatic combination of electronics, rock, and nuance" apparently).

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" which somewhat surprised me - it's not as though it's particularly unusual and they're a long established band.  As I said, I didn't mind it - but the fact that I'd completely forgotten I'd listened to it doesn't exactly suggest I'm going to be revisiting it.

Not the best round ever - PVT take it by default because of the competition, but they wouldn't have taken too many other rounds, I'm afraid.  And since they don't have lyrics, one of the other two have the honour of the title lyrics - and Igor feels like he has more to say, so he gets it.

21.06.04 - A strong round
21.06.14 - A quirky selection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves