We've got big, big mouths and small, small minds

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.05.13 : Dream of 100 Nations : Transglobal Underground (1993)

Never heard of it or them, but I'm assuming some kind of dance-y thing.  And whilst it has a strong beat, it's not quite dance-y - "electronic world music" maybe?  Wikipedia goes for "world fusion" and "ethnic electronica" which I'm not sure are any more helpful.  There are some interesting enough noises and rhythms on there, but there were also some quite annoying bits so I think it unlikely I'll be revisiting.

The channel gave this four thumbs up and a couple of positive comments, mostly from the two people who'd accidentally seen them live (and I can believe I'd find them a lot more entertaining live).  Wikipedia doesn't have anything on any of their 11 albums except for (randomly, it appears) Psychic Karaoke - although the group's entry tells us that this was their debut album which was recorded for one label who decided not to release it, so they had to take it elsewhere.  It also includes the following fine sentence "TGU developed a reputation for flamboyant live performances featuring dramatic costumes, belly dancing, endless percussion and members of the group disguised as Nepalese Temple guardians".

"Customers also listened to" Death In Vegas (I've not listened to them in AGES!), FSOL, Colourbox and Jah Wobble (a fascinating character if you fancy an autobiography to read!).  But this didn't quite hit the spot for me though.

21.05.14 : Insides : Jon Hopkins (2009)


I love Singularity, his 2018 album, but I'm not aware of ever having listened to this one - but can't see any reason why I won't like it.  And yeah, I like it - and I'm well away it's very similar to stuff I dismiss as bleepy, repetitive nonsense and I'm completely unable to explain why I like it whilst I completely dismiss the other stuff.  Life's not fair, OK?!?

The channel gave this eight nices, five white hearts and a few positive comments.  One of which claims this is his best album - but it's from the nominator, so I'm not sure he's entirely unbiased.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot to say about the album other than that people generally liked it.  His entry is interesting because he's being doing stuff since 1997 and has worked with a lot of people eg "In 2007, Hopkins was invited by Eno, who was producing Coldplay's upcoming album Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, to join the band in the studio for a day. Hopkins ended up staying and contributing to the album for the next year, co-producing several tracks and playing organs, harmoniums, and other keyboard instruments on others".

"Customers also listened to" Max Cooper, Robag Wruhme (crazy name, crazy guy!) and Rival Consoles.  All of whom I might like, but I probably wouldn't like as much as I like Jon Hopkins.

21.05.17 : Greatest Hits? : As Friends Rust (2014)


No idea about the album or artist, but I like the question mark.  For some reason, the album cover made me think I was in for some kind of Status Quo kinda sound, but I can confirm it's very much not that.  It's also very much not my sort of thing, but odd because it's got a very metal vocal over an often not quite so metal backing track (Wikipedia tells me it's "melodic hardcore") - I actually suspect I'd like some of the songs if done in an indie style.  But as it is, I don't but I do like their song titles though!

The channel gave this three thumbs up and a lot of positive comments, but only from the nominator.  One such comment is that they're one of the most underrated bands out of Gainsville - which lead me initially to investigate the Gainsville-based competition, but then left me wondering how you actually measure "underratedness".  And then my head exploded.  Wikipedia doesn't have an entry on the album (how much can you say about most compilation albums?) but the band's entry tells me they disbanded in 2002 - and reunited in 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2019!

"Customers also listened to" Calliophis, Death In June and Green Carnation - I have a sneaking suspicion they may not be quite my kind of thing.  Like As Friends Rust.

Not a tricky decisions - Jon would have won many rounds, but he barely needed to get out of bed for this one.  But - he's got no lyrics!  What to do for the title?  I think that has to go to AFR for their song titles if nothing else.

21.05.10 - One of my favourite albums by one of my favourite artists
21.05.18 - Another round with two I've previous seen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves