Just twenty thousand people standing in a field

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.05.18 : Screamadelica : Primal Scream (1991)

One I own, love and have written about before.  And the other albums in the round are gonna have to go some to beat this.  And I mention it in the initial write-up, but I must stress that if you've never heard the track "Screamadelica" then you really should check it out - I've no idea how it didn't make the cut for the album.

The channel gave this eight thumbs up, one scream (I should really try harder with my emoji based contributions) and a couple of positive comments - I expected more to be honest!

21.05.19 : Different Class : Pulp (1995)

Well, that's unfortunate for them Screamers, ain't it?  Another one I own, love and have written about before - it shades Screamadelica for me and the other album in the round is REALLY gonna have to go some to beat this.  It's also weird how long we had to wait for two consecutive previous visits to appear and then we had two in just over a week.

The channel gave this five fires, nine thumbs up, one male detective, one oh yes and a LOT of positive comments.  Including the very depressing "brings back great memories of being 11/12" (I was 27!).

21.05.20 : A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation : The Wombats (2007)

I love "Let's All Dance To Joy Division" and I believe their other stuff is generally similar, so I'm expecting to enjoy this a lot and feel sorry that it's still likely to come a distant third in the round.  And yeah, I enjoyed it and it feels like it could totally be a grower, but it's got some way to go before it catches up with either of the previous two albums.  It reminded me of early Arctic Monkeys - wry lyrics over bouncy music and very much up my street.  Some top track titles as well and I was pleasantly surprised to see there's another song called "Patricia The Stripper" - if you're not aware of the original, it's up there with "Spanish Train" and "A Spaceman Came Travelling" as Chris de Burgh's finest (and for those of you only familiar with "Lady In Red", I realise the phrase "Chris de Burgh's finest" may be a perplexing one).

The channel gave this five pink wombats, six thumbs up and one positive comment.  Wikipedia has remarkably little on the album - it was released, it got to #11 in the UK and Llangattock Primary School sing on "Let's All Dance To Joy Division".  What more do you need to know?

"Customers also listen to" The Kooks, The Fratellis, The Hoosiers and The Libertines - I was surprised not to see The The on The List.  I enjoyed this though - I'll make an effort to revisit it at some point to give it a chance to become a grower.

So, all in all, a fine round - I always feel kinda sad when we have three great albums and I have declare one the winner, but to be honest it's an easy win for Pulp - Screamadelica is a fine album, but Different Class is - well, what would be a good phrase to use?

21.05.13 - Not the trickiest decision
21.05.21 - An arty selection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves