You can't lay a patch by computer design - it's just a lot of stupid, stupid signs

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.05.10 : Automatic For The People : REM (1992)

Well, this is unfortunate for the other artists in the round - one of my favourite albums by one of my favourite artists.

The channel gave this seven thumbs up, eleven hearts, a few positive comments and one new joiner.

21.05.11 : Live At Leeds : The Who (1970)

Another highly regarded album that I've previously met (the first time we've had two consecutive previous write-ups) - but I'm afraid I struggled to understand the fuss (yes, I'm a heathen - but you really should have worked that out by now).

The nominator gave this a fine introduction ("I live in Leeds and I can't wait for live music - who should I pick?") and the channel gave it two thumbs up and one amusingly grumpy comment ("I didn't listen to this because I hate all live albums").

21.05.12 : Year Of The Tiger : Myles Kennedy (2018)

I'm vaguely aware of your man as being a rare exception to my rule of thumb in that he's both a singer/songwriter and a guitar maestro.  I was expecting to admire rather than enjoy this, but was intrigued to listen to it nonetheless.  And yeah - it's fine - maybe not quite as impressive as I was expecting, but there's certainly nothing hateful there.  He doesn't have technically the greatest voice, but it's very expressive (particularly on "Love Can Only Heal") - I think there might be times the album hits the spot, but I can't say that happened for me on first listen.

Another fine introduction from the nominator ("I was going to pick some metal - but I didn't") and the channel responded with four thumbs up, some requests for metal next time and one new joiner.  Wikipedia tells us the album was well received critically and did well enough commercially, particularly in the UK where it got to #12.  In a slight break from tradition, I also looked at his Wikipedia entry - mainly to understand why searching for Myles Kennedy on Amazon Music always showed Slash first.  Wikipedia explains their long association to me which means I now understand the link, but I still think that searching for "Myles Kennedy" should probably show me his stuff first - I guess I'm just old fashioned that way.  But whilst reading about his bromances with Slash and many other famous guitarists, I also learned that he's been married for nearly 20 years to the same woman, enjoys reading and works for various charities - he sounds pleasingly normal!

"Customers also listened to" The Mayfield Four and Alter Bridge, both of whom feature one Mr M Kennedy amongst their number.  From the various bits I've seen on Wikipedia, it doesn't sound like I'd go for too much of his other stuff but I'd have to say I didn't mind this at all.

Sorry, but the round just has to go to REM.  And I'm quite happy to accept accusations of bias - mainly because, well, I'm biased.

21.05.05 - A most pleasing introduction
21.05.13 - Not the trickiest decision

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves