Self-professed, profound 'til the chips were down

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.07.13 : Back To Black : Amy Winehouse (2006)

And talking of "Valerie" (as we were just yesterday), here comes the slightly better known purveyor of that song (although Wikipedia reminds me The Zutons version was still top ten in the UK).  I always think Amy's version is on this album - but it ain't, so 10 points to the first person who knows which album it is on.  However, despite this omission, it's still a very fine album and obviously one I've met before, as my channel comment confirms

Obviously one I've already written up about.  I like it, but I also know a lot of people who are like "meh". 

The channel gave it three thumbs up, six hearts, five raised hands, three black hearts and a few positive comments.  Although I discuss the Wikipedia entry in my previous entry, it's worth pointing its size (597 milliPeppers) which I believe is the second biggest one we've had so far (after, err - a certain album by them Beatles).

21.07.14 : Punisher : Phoebe Bridgers (2020)

Another "two in a row" for previous visits - this being a rarer recent album which I met as part of The Guardian's Top 50 albums of 2020.  And I nearly liked it but found it a bit too wishy-washy to truly love...

I remembered liking this, but it turns out I was only close to liking it. 

The channel gave it five raised hands, one thumbs up and a lot of love from a couple of people.

21.07.15 : Fear Inoculum : Tool (2019)

I seem to recall I was put off by the name, but the actual album turned out to be far worse - but it turns out I'm 100% wrong on this.

"It's a bit lengthy" - words to bring a chill to my soul.  But, I liked it and it didn't feel nearly as long as some one hour audio torture sessions I've endured.  I obviously need to play it louder than I'm allowed to when people are in the house, but I will make an effort to do so.

So as penance I gave it a re-listen, but louder over headphones this time.  And it sounded pretty fine - I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to describe it though (Wikipedia goes for prog rock/metal - and whilst I wouldn't want to argue with them, I also wouldn't necessarily agree with them either).  It's still 86 minutes long though - which is indeed "a bit lengthy".

The channel gave it eight thumbs up, one yess, one heart and a few positive comments.  Wikipedia has more on the album than I expected (207 milliPeppers), but then again the album took longer to produce than I expected - over ten years, delayed by various things including legal action and scooter accidents.  It was also more popular than I expected - #4 in the UK and, in bizarre phraseology, apparently it "debuted atop the Billboard 200".  I know I write some bollocks, but seriously?!?

"Customers also listened to" A Perfect Circle, Puscifer and Floater - all of whom have scared me off with their album covers.  But I liked Tool a lot more than I was expecting to and will attempt to remember that in future - and will almost certainly fail to do so.

So ANOTHER round featuring two women (what is the world coming to?) and one I was expecting to like but didn't, one I wasn't expecting to like but did and one that's merely a timeless classic.  So I'm guessing the round goes to Amy.

(and her version of "Valerie" is on Version by Mark Ronson, which is worth checking out to see which tracks you love and which ones you hate)

21.07.08 - You can come out now - the women have gone away.
21.07.16 - And they've gone away again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves