I tried so hard and got so far - but in the end it doesn't even matter

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.07.16 : Hybrid Theory : Linkin Park (2000)

An album I bought and liked at the time, I can't say it's one I revisit regularly but I have some of the tracks on my general playlist and enjoy them when they pop up.  I certainly didn't listen to all 80 tracks and 245 minutes of the 20th anniversary version though - obviously no stamina, me.  My channel comment was 

There's no way I'm spending half my Friday listening to that.  I'll settle for just saying "I like this album waaaay more than I thought I would"

The channel gave it eight headphones, four nices, some positive comments, some negative comments about the length and one "I tried, I really did - but no".  Wikipedia has a massive 434 milliPeppers on the album and I just know it's going to be pointless levels of detail without even reading it.  I was somewhat surprised to see that it got a good critical reception - it feels like something the critics would be a tad sniffy about given half a chance.  But whatever they'd written, it was always gonna sell - but boy did it sell.  Although it "only" got to #2 in the US (four separate times - unlucky!) and #4 in the UK, it's sold over 27 million copies and is the best selling debut album of this century.

"Customers also listened to" Limp Bizkit and Papa Roach - but give me Linkin Park over those two any time.  I don't think it's quite the masterpiece Wikipedia makes it out to be, but it's nonetheless an enjoyable listen (and if it had come out 10 years earlier, I suspect I'd be proclaiming it very much is that masterpiece!).

21.07.19 : Peripeteia : Rafael Anton Irisarri (2020)


I didn't specifically remember this, but I was pretty certain it was one of those "evocative soundscape" albums which sound good, but ultimately go nowhere.  And my channel comment totally backs this up

It's atmospheric, but not really my sort of thing.

The channel gave it one thumbs up, three nices, one positive and one "too samey - I blame technology" comment.  The nominator did make the point that it's excellent background music for work, which I can see - but I don't see that as a reason to recommend it, I'm afraid.  Wikipedia doesn't have anything on the album - his entry tells me he's American and then offers a load of critics spouting the most unbelievable bollocks about his music, so we'll leave it there.

"Customers also listened to" - to no-one's surprise a load of people with weird names that I've never heard of.  Oh, and Steve Moore who I've still never heard of but he's definitely not got a weird name!  But it's an impressive noise Mr Irisarri makes, but ultimately just a bit dull for me.

21.07.20 : Dee Gees/Hail Satin : Foo Fighters (2021)


The second band to make it to three albums on the list - and I don't think anyone was surprised to see them do it, although this probably wouldn't have been the album that most people would have expected to see them do it with.  I remember it being impressively pointless - they do the Bee Gee stuff better than you'd expect but there's nothing there to bring you back to it.  And the other stuff was well, just other stuff.  My channel comment isn't arguing with me

They're well done disco covers, but you have to wonder how many people would listen to them if they weren't done by the Foos.  I can't see me listening to it again.

and I can assure you I haven't listened to it again.  The channel gave it two headphones, three discos, some generally positive comments and my favourite - "This is what happens when people get bored in lockdown".  Wikipedia has a nominal entry on the album and tells us it got to #17 in the UK and #27 in the US, which was far more than it deserved if you ask me.

"Customers also listened to" Taylor Hawkins, who I'd never heard of but assumed he must have something to do with the Foos (and he's the drummer).    It's surprisingly well done, but I just don't see why they bothered.

So whilst I enjoy Linkin Park, I wouldn't have necessarily have expected it to win - but win it did, and win easily.

21.07.13 - Oh no!  The women are back!
21.07.21 - Some angry men


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves