I found my self in a second-hand guitar

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.06.17 : This Nation's Saving Grace : The Fall (1985)

I remember this being not as bad as I was expecting - but not good enough to remember or want me to revisit.  My channel comment was

That was a pleasant surprise - I didn't utterly, utterly hate it.  I mean, obviously I didn't like it - but at no point did my ears bleed, so it's a vast improvement on other Fall stuff I've heard.  And yes, I may be exaggerating for effect.

The channel gave this four thumbs up, one positive comment and some general discussion about how many people have been in The Fall over the years.  Amusingly, Wikipedia runs through the personnel changes around this album with one of the two drummers leaving, the bassist taking paternity leave to be replaced by a classical musician Mark E. Smith met whilst working on a collaboration with the choreographer Michael Clarke (the mind boggles!) and then the bassist returning, so the new bassist switched over to guitar and keyboards.  Which all sounds very Fall--esque and resulted in this, the sixth best album of the year according to NME.  Hardly anyone bought it though, obviously.

"Customers also listened to" Wire, The Wedding Present and The Raincoats, two of whom I've met previously on here and let's just say it didn't end well - so thank god for The Wedding Present, eh?   As I previously said, this was better than I was expecting - but that doesn't mean I liked it.

21.06.18 : Let's Get Happy Together : Maria Muldaur, Tuba Skinny (2021)

I remember this being some skilful music in a genre that I'd never normally listen to, but I'd completely forgotten it was New Orleans jazz.  My channel comment was

Not really my thing, but there's lots to admire there - I imagine it's impressive live.  I have to chuckle at her being the same age as my mum though - I'm amazed I haven't seen her on Jools at any point though, it seems right up his street...

The channel gave this two heart eyes, two thumbs up, some positive comments and a reminder that she did the original version of "Midnight At The Oasis" in 1973.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album, but quite a bit on Maria - she's appeared on over 50 albums since 1964 and is obviously still going strong seeing as how this album was from earlier this year.

"Customers also listened to" a load of people I strongly suspect I won't like - and a load of people I know perfectly well I don't like.  Whereas I didn't mind Maria, but there's no danger of me ever searching her out ever again.

21.06.21 : Is Your Love Big Enough? : Lianne La Havas (2012)

I remember liking this at the time and when I relistened to it, but can't really tell you much more about it than that.  Just some nice sounds really!  My channel comment was

I like this but is it REALLY 9 years old?  How did that happen?!?

The channel gave this four nices, four thumbs up and a few positive comments.  Wikipedia has more than I expected on the album, including the fact that Gaffa (whoever they are) voted this the thirtieth best album of 2012 by a non-Danish artist - is there a greater compliment they could pay anyone?  It did well enough in non-Danish countries as well - getting to #4 in the UK.  Her entry reminds me of the fact that Prince played a concert in her living room which just seems a kinda weird thing to happen - and I struggle to imagine His Purple Highness didn't try to move it to another room in the house (and I really hope she laughed at him!).

"Customers also listened to" Laura Mvula, Corrine Bailey Rae and a load of people who I suspect make very similar sounds.  I can find this sort of thing a bit insubstantial, but I think Lianne manages to keep it just the right side of that.

I have to say that if Lianne hadn't popped up at the end, there was a chance The Fall might have won this round - which would have been a big turn-up for the books.  But she did, so they didn't and the natural order of things is restored.  Well done, Lianne!

21.06.14 - A quirky selection
21.06.22 - A fine selection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves