I've gotta a bomb in my temple that's gonna explode

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.06.22 : Ten : Pearl Jam (1991)

One I always thought I didn't like, but then had to listen to it as part of the Rolling Stone marathon and discovered I was totally thinking of something else and I really liked it - so was pleased to revisit here again.  And so pleased to be re-reminded that I liked it that I listened to it again just now.  

The channel gave it ten thumbs up, one mic drop boom, two nices but zero comments which somewhat surprised me - it feels like prime nostalgia territory for the channel.

21.06.23 : Sam's Town : The Killers (2006)

An album I don't mind, but I'd still pick Hot Fuss over this one - it's definitely variable in quality, but the high points are just so high.  Whereas this has fewer lows, but also fewer highs.  Imeho.  My channel comment was

I'd have gone for the first side of Hot Fuss played twice.  I'd not listened to Sam's Town in ages - mostly because it's not Hot Fuss, I think.  It's a more consistent album than HF but doesn't have the high points for me - it's mostly "fine" and lifes too short for mostly fine, unfortunately.  It was nice to be reminded that "When You Were Young" and "Read My Mind" exist though.  However, my OCD can't forgive them making "Enterlude" the second track - I suspect record company interference...  

The channel gave this five thumbs up, two nices and some positive comments.  We also uncovered two people who quite like "Andy, You're A Star" on Hot Fuss - and, to be honest, I still can't bring myself to talk to them.  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album, but very little of interest.  The critics generally liked it - although, of course, the comment I liked most was "The Killers are a talented band that evolved too fast, for the wrong reasons".  After Hot Fuss, the public were obviously going to buy it in droves and they did - #1 in the UK and #2 in the US (kept off the top by The Open Door from Evanescence) and selling over 5 million copies globally.

"Customers also listened to" Franz Ferdinand, MGMT, The Strokes and Kings Of Leon - some definitely similar sounds there.  Thinking about it, I think "mostly fine" is a bit harsh on this album - it has some good tracks, but there's just not enough there to drag me back to it, I'm afraid.

21.06.24 : Amplify Human Vibrations : Nordic Giants (2017)


Nope - don't remember this one at all but it's another one I'd guess is ambient but have no real idea, so I'd better give it another listen.  And yeah, it's not quite ambient but it's in that ballpark - Wikipedia goes for "instrumental post-rock" (whatever the fuck that means).  It's basically a collection of evocative sounds and spoken voice samples - which doesn't sound like it would overly work, but it's an interesting listen.  My channel comment was 

Yeah, that's pretty lush.  I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't use "If your grandmother, or any other member of your family should die whilst in the shelter, put them outside - but remember to tag them first for identification purposes" though...

The channel gave this three thumbs up, one excellent, one eyes and a few positive comments, mostly being new introductions which is always nice to see.  Wikipedia doesn't have an entry on the album and the band's entry basically tells me they're from England and that's about it.  I'd love to say their Facebook page is more informative, but I'm not sure it even tells me that much.  So basically all I know is that they're not Nordic and, in all likelihood, they're probably not giants.  I hope this helps.

"Customers also listened to" Baltic Fleet, Plastic Mermaids, The Ninth Wave and Saltwater Sun - there's a pleasing nautical theme there, if nothing else.  I liked the overall sound that Nordic Giants made but I can't say I'd ever search it out to listen to it again.

So they all have their good points, but Pearl Jam have more good points than the other two, so they take the round.

21.06.17 - A somewhat varied mix
21.06.25 - An easy win for the newcomer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves