I’m so sick of (fill in the blank)

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.03.17 : Teens Of Denial : Car Seat Headrest (2016)

Never heard of album or artist, but Car Seat Headrest have got to be indie dudes, surely?  And yeah, they're indie dudes - I mostly liked it with it reminding me of The National.  Sometimes they got a bit too excitable for my tastes but, all in all, I'd say it's a pleasant introduction to something new for me.  I didn't need it to be 70 minutes long though - it was dragging by the end.
The channel warned us about the start of "Vincent" (and with good reason) and gave this eight thumbs up, one loud sound, a couple of positive comments and a few new joiners (but I think it's still the anniversary effect).  Wikipedia tells me the album was very highly regarded critically, featuring in several "best of 2010s" lists but didn't exactly set the charts alight - #198 in the UK and #180 in the US.  It also didn't have the smoothest path to release, with the first batch being recalled and destroyed over a misunderstanding as to whether they had permissions to use some Cars lyrics (it turns out Ric Ocasek took exception to them changing one line).
"Customers also listened to" Cloud Nothings, Foxygen and Parquet Courts - none of whom I can tell you the slightest thing about but I like their names.  I liked this though - the channel and Wikipedia suggest that it doesn't necessarily mean I'll like any of their other stuff, but I might just check it out anyway.
21.03.18 : Aja : Steely Dan (1977)

There are very few people in BJSS who are older and more venerable than me, but Mr Mulhearn, the nominator of this album, is definitely one of them.  So I would obviously never disagree with his choice of album as one of the all time classics - well, not unless there was documentary evidence of me having done so already.  "Incredibly dull" suggests to me I didn't particularly like it.
The channel tells us that Mr Mulhearn almost chose Can't Buy A Thrill instead and I would have been much happier with that given that I declared that it reached the dizzy heights of "perfectly passable".  The channel was happy with this album giving it two thises, three nice jazz sound, five claps, one nice, three thumbs up, one bellissimo and one headphones - hasn't it got very expressive all of a sudden?  Lots of positive comments as well - but I particularly liked the one confusing Steely Dan with Steeleye Span.
21.03.19 : Burrows : Caro (2020)

I first read the artist as Cara which made me think "Oooh - what a feeling!" (and if you get that reference, you're OLD - like me!).  I then read it properly and thought "oh no - it'd better not be Caro Emerald" (I really don't see the appeal there).  But at no point did I actually consider what it might sound like - and having listened to it, I'm not entirely sure what it sounded like.  Kinda Talking Heads-ish and it also reminded me of Bright Eyes as well - so art school pop, I guess?!?  Does that help?  I didn't mind it, but it wasn't exactly memorable - it kinda glided (glid?) past me.
The channel suggested Alt-J as a similar sound and I'd have to say that's a better fit than my proposals.  It gave the album seven thumbs up, two loud sounds, one eyes, a positive comment, some discussion as to how shit Alt-J got, one new joiner and one leaver for balance.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album or the band - a quick Google tells me they're from Leeds and this is their debut album.  And what more would you possibly want to know about them?
"Customers also listened to" a load of people I've never heard of who look like they'll probably be similar to Caro - and an album of Vivaldi's flute concertos.  Obviously.  As I previously said, this was bearable but unmemorable for me.
Definitely not Steely Dan then - I think Car Seat Headrest probably do enough to swing the round for me.  Why, if I remember they exist I might even listen to again!
21.03.13 - "I liked this"
21.03.22 - A very strong round

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves