I go to loud places to search for someone to be quiet with

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.01.26 : Science Fiction - Church Of The Cosmic Skull (2018)

Yup - no idea about this one either, but I'm guessing it's gonna be prog from the artist name (and just possibly the album cover as well!).  And yeah, there are definitely prog elements in there but there are a lot of other bits in there as well - it's like "kitchen sink prog" (that's an officially recognised genre, right?).  I'd struggle to describe it, but I actually quite enjoyed it.
The channel gave this four thumbs up and one positive-ish comment.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album, but a little bit on the band - disappointingly it doesn't describe them as being "kitchen sink prog" so I'll just have to get on and update that.  Apparently they're known for their white on-stage attire, which I'd have to say sounds dreadfully impractical to me - the laundry must be a nightmare.
"Customers also listened to" a bunch of people that might, just might, be a little bit proggy - and of course I've heard of none of them.  But I liked this, even if I've got no real idea what it was I heard.
21.01.27 : In Colour - Jamie xx (2015)

The XX are a group I always think I like, but when it comes to actually listening to them, I'm somewhat underwhelmed - so I've either never listened to this for that reason or I've listened to it and was so underwhelmed, I've forgotten all about it.  Either way, here goes...
...and I'd obviously just been avoiding it, because this is a lot more like I want The XX to sound - much more up my street.  I recognised "Loud Places" from various playlists I've heard it on - it's a fine track indeed which sounds good both quiet and loud.  But the other tracks are also very listenable with "The Rest Is Noise" standing out for me - yeah this is a fine album.  I like the album cover too - that white rectangle just makes me go "why?  what does it mean?".
The channel gave this eleven thumbs up, a lot of positive comments and FIVE new joiners - this album is obviously a big-time draw.  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album - apparently he pulled it together over the course of five years.  When it finally appeared, it was well received both critically (appearing on quite a few "best of 2010s" lists) and commercially - #3 in the UK and #21 in the US.  I was also very disappointed to learn his surname isn't actually xx at all - it's Smith.  How dull!.
"Customers also listened to" Caribou, SBTRKT and Jon Hopkins - all of whom I have a reasonable amount of time for their best tracks.  But I was pleased to be made to listen to this - it was much better than The XX in my opinion.
21.01.28 : summerteeth - Wilco (1999)

Wilco are another group I think I should like, but I've yet to really engage with anything they've done (and yes, before you ask, I HAVE listened to the Woody Guthrie stuff they did with Billy Bragg).  So I wasn't exactly approaching this with any degree of enthusiasm - and yeah, it pretty much landed where I was expecting it to.  None of the tracks were hateful, but neither were they particularly enjoyable and an hour of it was just a bit of a drag - maybe if I listened to it on repeat, I'd get into it (but, for the avoidance of doubt, that ain't gonna happen).  I didn't mind "Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again)" - until I saw the track title and then I went right off it.  And I'm really not sure what's going on with the album cover.
The channel gave this four thumbs and no comments at all.  Wikipedia has a reasonable amount on the album, but very little of actual interest.  Apparently it was well received critically, but was considered a commercial disappointment compared with their previous album - although it was their first album to chart in the UK, hitting the dizzy heights of #38.
"Customers also listened to" Jeff Tweedy, Uncle Tupelo and Golden Smog - all of whom sound a little bit creepy to me.  And Wilco remain an inexplicable pleasure to me, I'm afraid - I just don't get it.
COTCS (I'm not typing it out again!) were surprisingly enjoyable, but it's an easy win for Jamie for me for this round.
21.01.21 - Three very different albums
21.01.29 - A mixed bag

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves