All the ivy is growing sideways

Continuing my trip up #album-of-the-day...

21.04.22 : Women In Music Pt III : HAIM (2020)

One I've written about previously and really enjoyed - one of the best albums of last year for me which I think should have been more highly regarded (although I guess getting to #1 in the UK means it was pretty well regarded).
The channel gave this five hands up, four hearts and a lot of positive comments.  And that's the very least it deserves imho.
21.04.23 : Rose Azura Njano: Cunninlynguists (2017)


Well, they're not doing themselves any favours for me with that band name, I can tell you - 6th form indie anyone?  Or Benny Hill backing band?  But thankfully, "Yakety Sax" doesn't feature on the album - it's basically some more of that melodic hip-hop I don't know how to describe.  Wikipedia goes for "conscious hip hop" - but if you follow the link to get more information, it takes you to "alternative hip hop", which has a detailed entry which basically just says "this is hip hop we don't know how to describe".  Thanks Wikipedia!
Anyways, back to the album - even if I can't describe it, I didn't mind it at all.  It's got some interesting lyrics and sounds on there and it manages to kinda sneak into your brain.  It's obviously not good enough for me to forgive them for their name, but I'd have to say they gave it their best shot (and I'm super pleased I wasn't asked to listen to their Sloppy Seconds album).  I actually quite like the album cover as well, but I'm scared to say so in case there's some secondary meaning I'm missing.
The channel gave this four thumbs up and a couple of positive comments - and then the whole thing fell apart in chaos with all sorts of rule breaking going on.  Wikipedia has nothing on the album, despite having something on all the rest of their albums.  It does say this of the group though - "in 2009, XXL (whoever they are) included the group as having one of the worst names in hip hop".  And I'm not going to argue with that.  
"Customers also listened to" Ugly Heroes and Dark Time Sunshine - never heard of 'em!  So I liked this more than I expected, but I mean, seriously.  Just no with that name.
21.04.26 : Charango : Morcheeba (2017)

Well, obviously I own and like Big Calm (which amusingly I first typed as Big Clam) but, also obviously, I've never ever listened to another of their albums - so I was interested to listen to this, expecting something similar but mystifyingly less successful (except for the bleeding obvious fact that people like me never investigated them any further after Big Clam).  And yeah, that's pretty much what we've got - it's fine, but nothing jumped out on there to make me think "I need this in my life", I'm afraid.  And I'd have to say that the version on Amazon which includes instrumental versions of all the tracks did not do it any favours in my eyes - they got soooo dull.
The channel gave this eight thumbs up and a new joiner.  Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - noting that it did OK commercially, but not mentioning the critical reception at all, which leads me to suspect it got slagged off.
"Customers also listened to" Kid Loco, Massive Attack and Lamb - some similar sounds coming out of that lot.  And this is fine - but only fine for me, I'm afraid.
An eeeezy win for HAIM - definitely worth a listen if you haven't had the pleasure.
21.04.19 - Almost a missing artist
21.04.27 - Not the strongest round for me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves