Baby, you're the end of June

Continuing my trip up Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time...

#491 : Fine Line - Harry Styles (2019)


Harry Styles achieved pop greatness with One Direction, but he got even deeper on his own. On Fine Line, he stakes his claim as one of his generation’s most savagely imaginative musical minds. Styles breathes in the 1970s California sunshine of his heroes — Joni Mitchell, David Bowie, Stevie Nicks — with soulful breakup songs. As he explained, “It’s all about having sex and feeling sad.” Yet the music is drenched in starman joy: the ‘shroomadelic guitar trip “She,” the dulcimer-crazed “Canyon Moon,” the Number One juicy-fruit beach orgy “Watermelon Sugar.”


Errr - is this a fucking joke?!?  Have Rolling Stone caught on that I'm doing this and they're trolling me?!?  What's next - the Moshi Monsters album?!?  (WARNING - do NOT Google this, kids - you will not thank me).  This got me wondering how many people from Harry's record label and/or family were on the judging panel, so I think we can safely say I was not expecting greatness from this album...

...but I have to say, I really quite enjoyed it!  It's way more mature than I was expecting (I guess he is the ripe old age of 26 now) and has some decent tunes and influences on it - surprisingly 60s and 70s at times (for those of you who fancy a little side project, listen to the opening track "Golden" and then listen to "Dreamworld" by Rilo Kiley - definite "influences" there).  It starts strong (the first 3 tracks are all pretty good) and tails off towards the end, but overall it's a fine attempt.  So Harry, who despite his best efforts, was only famous in my head for putting on his dressing gown and heading to my old fish and chip shop with a chicken (it totally happened - check it out here) has gone up in my estimation - I'm sure he'll be made up about this.

But - is it one of the 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time?  No, it isn't.  "Customers also listened to" albums by Niall Horan and Louis Tomlinson and I can totally believe it's in the top 5 albums released by ex-members of One Direction - but I'd argue it has some way to go before graduating much beyond that.  However, part of me is pleased it's in the list because I'd have never listened to it otherwise and I enjoyed it way more than I was expecting - but my suggestion that I celebrate this fact by dressing like Harry around town did NOT go down well with my daughters, I can tell you...

#490 : Heart Like A Wheel - Linda Rondstadt (1975)


Linda Ronstadt completed her transition from California hippie-folk darling to soft-rock queen on her chart-topping fifth album, covering Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Little Feat, and Kate and Anna McGariggle on the gorgeous title track. Her version of the Betty Everett oldie “You’re No Good” hits a perfect mix of desire and paranoia. Along with being a showcase for Ronstadt’s peerless versatility, Heart Like a Wheel is Seventies pop-rock craft at its sweetest and sturdiest.

Linda Ronstadt was a name I knew, but like Bonnie Raitt, I just assumed she was kinda country without knowing anything more - and, as before, the description suggested I was wrong, so I had no idea what to expect.  And basically, it's an album of cover versions.  It's a very good album of cover versions, but I've no idea on what basis anyone would include it on a list of great albums.  Having said that, I did enjoy it and she does have a very lovely voice - my initial reaction was "American Karen Carpenter" which is only slightly impacted by the fact that Karen Carpenter was very much American, but I think you'll know what I mean if you hear her voice.

No particular track stood out for me - maybe "You're No Good" but there are better versions out there (although I'm not convinced by the Van Halen version) and I particularly enjoyed the slide guitar on "I Can't Help It (If I'm Still In Love With You)".  "Customers also listened to" The Stone Poneys who I'd never heard of and was wondering about the link until I Googled it and saw that the singer of The Stone Poneys was one Linda Ronstadt, so I guess I can just about work it out it now.  So overall, I enjoyed this album (and I'd be tempted to check out "Best Of Linda Ronstadt") but I'll have forgotten about it in 5 minutes.

#489 : Back To Mono - Phil Spector (1958-1969)


When the Righteous Brothers’ Bobby Hatfield first heard “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’,” with partner Bill Medley’s extended solo, he asked, “But what do I do while he’s singing the whole first verse?” Producer Phil Spector replied, “You can go directly to the bank!” Spector built his Wall of Sound out of hand claps, massive overdubs, and orchestras of percussion. This box has hits such as the Ronettes’ “Be MyBaby” and the Crystals’ “Da Doo Ron Ron,” which Spector called “little symphonies for the kids.”


Now, I know I promised to listen to everything - but apparently this is a 4 CD box set featuring 73 tracks which, whilst I like a lot of this stuff, feels like it would be a bit of a slog.  I also feel that it's a bit of a cheat including a box set in this list, so I'm going to disqualify it.  A single "Best Of Phil Spector" CD feels like it would definitely fit somewhere in this list - he was responsible for some utter classics over the years, although I think it's safe to say some of his ways of working were "problematic".


So whilst Phil Spector definitely contributes the best tracks, we have to declare Harry the winner for this section - which I certainly didn't see coming...


#494-492 - So, won't you...

#488-486 - Not a great selection

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves