Why should it be you have the power to hypnotize me?

Continuing my trip back through the 1958 album charts.

10/08/58 : We Get Letters (Vol 2) - Perry Como


We've skipped seven weeks this time and I've also ignored yet another Frank best-of (our second of the year) to bring us to an album that, in any other year, I would either ignore or dread - but given it's '58 I'm almost looking forward to it. Particularly when I see his shirt on the album cover.

I thought I wasn't able to find the album anywhere but it was another one given a different name over here - it was called So Smooth everywhere else and I've absolutely no idea why. And I'd love to say tracking it down was worth the effort, but that would be somewhat overstating matters. None of it is dreadful, but it's all very dated in a Bing Crosby style - not a patch on our previous visit, I'm afraid. I didn't mind the Cole Porter numbers "You Do Something To Me" and "In The Still Of The Night" but it's all very inessential.

We're at #5 in the charts this week on his last week of seven on the chart, all but one spent at #5 - yes, he managed to spend one week at the dizzy heights of #4. The rest of the top five were My Fair LadySouth Pacific, Lonnie and Frank- yup, we've actually gone a whole week without mentioning Elvis (doh!).

Wikipedia has very little on the album - it's his first "proper" 12" album, although his first recording was released in '48 (format details are not supplied). Apparently, his singles at the time were generally novelty records but he decided to take a completely different path for his album - I guess it worked out OK for him!

"Customers also listened to" Tony Bennett, Frankie Laine, Bing Crosby and Shirley Bassey - I'm not entirely sure what Shirley's doing in there, but apart from that we're not straying too far. After our last visit, this was a bit of a disappointment - but it was much more what I was generally expecting from Mr Como.

13/07/58 - A fine voice indeed
28/09/58 - An interesting listen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves