Indulging in situations that are fabricated imaginations

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

16/08/24 : This Is How Tomorrow Moves - Beabadoobee

I'm aware of Beabadoobee without being entirely sure how it came to pass - I've liked some of her stuff I've heard and found some of the other stuff to be a bit too much for me, so let's hope she's dialled things back a bit here.

Yeah, I really liked this. It's got a very Billie/Lana kinda sound to it, but she's somehow got a more British sound in there. There was one track in particular that jumped out at me, but I was busy doing something else at the time so didn't note down its name - sorry! (I know that's the kind of in-depth and detailed analysis you come here for). But it's got a high quality bar throughout, so I'm pleased I'm heading in to London to catch her at All Points East this afternoon.

We're at a somewhat surprising #1 with a new entry in the chart this week and the top five is very nearly a clean sweep for the ladies with ChappellCharliTaylor and Will Young (a new entry - fine, but it's not going to convert anyone) making up the numbers (and yes, Billie is at #6). The rest of the new entries this week are a somewhat peculiar mix of Calvin Harris (#11) which is a best-of so really won't surprise anyone, Elles Bailey (#12) who I really liked with her great voice and decent songs, Asake (#15) which is well done but Nigerian rap is never going to be my kind of thing and, quite obviously, Elvis Presley (#83) with 111 tracks lasting over 5 hours!

Last week I said that ¥$ would drop out of the chart entirely and I was totally wrong because they're at #46 - I've no idea who allowed this to happen. Given the performance of the lasses in the charts recently I feel I'd be foolish to suggest that Beabadoobee is gonna drop very far but I don't think she's going to hold up quite as well as most, so let's say #12. And this weeks Taylor stats are the usual one in the top ten, six in the top thirty and ten in the entire chart.

Wikipedia tells us this is her third album and doesn't really tell us any more than that, although I did notice that it's produced by Rick Rubin - that man has had a lengthy career and pops up in the strangest of places. Critically, it's been well received and commercially it's made some inroads elsewhere, getting to #29 in Ireland and #6 in Australia.

"Customers also listened to" Asake (really?), Blush Always, Clairo and BLACKSTARKIDS - ah yes, that lot. I really liked this though and I might even listen to it again - and there is no higher praise than that!

09/08/24 - Not nearly as hateful as it might have been
23/08/24 - More enjoyable than I was expecting

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves