You're the light, you're the night

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

13/11/15 : Delirium - Ellie Goulding

Our third visit with Ellie and she's made some nice enough noises, but not enough to convince me I need her in my life - maybe this will be the one to change things (but somehow I doubt it).

Hmmm. Ellie's an interesting one because I suspect she's got quite a good voice, but it's always so processed that you can't help but think they're hiding something. I do like "Love Me Like You Do" though and "Devotion" also jumped out at me as being ahead of the pack. And the pack are all perfectly fine, but it is an unnecessarily large pack, with the album clocking in at 58 minutes (or 78 for the deluxe version) - less would definitely have been more here. It's not horrible though!

We're at #3 with a new entry in the chart this week on the start of an impressive 48 week run, although a lot of it was spent in the lower reaches of the chart. The rest of the top five were Elvis, Little Mix (another new entry), Rod Stewart and The Beatles - all of which is a slightly odd mix of music for 2015. Don't worry though because we've got a young, hip dude with a new entry at #6 - yes, it's Alexander Armstrong, who we won't get to hear but he spent sixteen weeks in the chart. Anastacia (#10) somewhat bucks the new entry/old fogey trend (although her first album did come out in '00), but Bob Dylan (#12) and Seal (#13) do make you wonder who was buying music this week. I'm also going to mention Grimes's Art Angels (#31) because I actually quite like it and it's definitely not old fogeyish.

Wikipedia tells me this is her third album and is a bit different from the previous ones, being "a big pop album".  The critics were mostly nice enough about the album but I feel NME probably got it about right with "there's something disappointing about the album, however undeniable the quality of material". It did pretty well commercially though, getting to #1 in Belgium and top ten in a load of countries, including #3 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Katy Perry, Little Mix, Zara Larsson and Selena Gomez - all of whom have done the odd thing I like, even if they're not exactly my cup of tea. As is also the case for Ellie, but most of her stuff just doesn't quite hit the spot for me.

06/11/15 - Well, it could have been worse
20/11/15 - Not giving me the feels I want

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves