Lettuce rolling in my mouth

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

31/07/15 : Born In The Echoes - The Chemical Brothers


Our fourth visit with the Chemicals and I generally like them - they're up there with Orbital as my fave bleepy dance acts, so I'm looking forward to this album that I don't think I was aware even existed.

Yeah, I quite liked this - they've certainly slowed down from their earlier days, but haven't we all, dahling? I particularly liked "Sometimes I Feel So Deserted" (the opening track) and the weirdness of the title track, but there was enough variety across the album to keep me engaged - even if I'm not entirely convinced it was their top-notch effort. I like the album cover though!

We are, for a change, at #1 with a new entry in the chart this week on the start of an eight week run which pleasingly featured a drop every week. The rest of the top five were Years & Years, Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith (they've been mentioned a lot recently and we're going to be seeing them pretty soon) and James Bay and we have three more new entries in the top ten - Lamb Of God (#7), Bugzy Malone (#8) and Roger Waters (#10), none of which I can tell you anything about.

Wikipedia doesn't have loads on the album but it does give us an impressive guest list - Beck, Cate Le Bon, St Vincent and Q-Tip, all of whom pretty much passed me by when I listened to the album. The critics were nice enough about the album and it did pretty well commercially, particularly in Belgium and Switzerland where it got to #2.

"Customers also listened to" Underworld, The Prodigy, Daft Punk and Leftfield - an interesting bunch who share some sounds with the Chemicals, but they're not all that similar either. I thought this was OK - for me, it's not their best effort but it's still worth a listen.

24/07/15 - Fine, but not enough variety for me
07/08/15 - Not their finest effort

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves