Fuck Glocks, I'm all about Fort Knox

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

14/08/15 : Compton - Dr Dre


This is my second visit with the good doctor - last time I was more impressed with the musical content than I was expecting, whilst finding the lyrical content more unpleasant than I was expecting. And I'm pretty much expecting the same thing here...

...but I was actually pleasantly surprised! I mean, it's very much not my sort of thing, but there's a reasonable amount of variety on there along with some decent lyrics which aren't (generally) glorifying violence or overly misogynistic. Who'd a thought it?!? There's also an impressive roster of guest artists who are well used - I'm sure Wikipedia will fill me on the full list but I certainly recognised Snoop and Eminem.

We're at #1 with a new entry in the chart this week on the start of a twelve week run, which involved drops every week except disappointingly for one when it kept the same spot. The rest of the top five were Frank TurnerEd Sheeran, Years & Years and Sam Smith and we have one more new entry in the top ten for Don Broco (#8).

Wikipedia has quite a lot on the album (151 milliPeppers) - it's his third album and his first in sixteen years, after he'd spent eleven years working on an album before cancelling it. The guest list is absolutely massive but the only other people I'd heard of were Anderson .Paak, Kendrick Lamar, The Game, Ice Cube, Jill Scott and Xzibit. The critics were generally impressed with it although our old mate Robert Christgau (who we've not heard from in ages) stated that he thought Dre's absence improved a lot of the tracks. Somewhat unsurprisingly, it did well commercially getting to #1 in a load of countries, but only #2 in the US - kept off the top by Luke Bryan, who I'd never heard of but apparently he's a massive country star.

"Customers also listened to" The Game, Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube and Xzibit - all mates together there. And I'd struggle to tell them apart, but I'm able to say which albums I hate and which ones are surprisingly tolerable, so well done to the Dre for falling into the second category.

07/08/15 - Not their finest effort
21/08/15 - Not bad at all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves