Capella, Auriga, Eta Carinae, Sagitta

Continuing my trip back through the 2015 album charts.

27/11/15 : Dark Sky Island - Enya

Well I wasn't expecting this, I can tell you - although I totally should have because, apart from her debut, all of her albums have made the top ten over here, so there's obviously a lot of love out there for some ethereal Irish warbling.

Well, I have to report that this isn't actually ethereal Irish warbling. It's not necessarily always my kind of thing but I have to admit it's got a lot more substance than I was expecting. It's kinda like background mood music, but there's more to it such that it makes you listen to it. I feel a bit mean, but I feel that the best thing I can say about this is that I really didn't mind it at all.

We're at #4 with a new entry in the charts this week on the start of a none-too-shabby nineteen week run, with this being as high as it got. The rest of the top five were Adele (another new entry), Elvis, Bieber and One Direction with the next highest new entry being yet another Status Quo best-of (#21 - their tenth compilation album to chart!). Amusingly, Frank Sinatra also had a new entry this week, but since he's at #58, I think I'm safe...

Wikipedia tells us this is her eighth album, coming seven years after the previous one because she took a bit of a break from music and then spent three years working on it - it sounds like she's super slow at that sort of thing. A couple of random facts for you - the title refers to Sark, which was designated a dark-sky preserve in 2011 and apparently two of the songs have lyrics in Loxian, which is a language completely made up by Roma Ryan who writes all the lyrics (and is married to Nicky Ryan, who produced the album). The critics were pretty nice about it and it did surprisingly well commercially, making the top twenty pretty much everywhere, including #8 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Loreena McKennitt, Govannan, Clannad and Moya Brennan - most of whom I've never even heard of (you can probably guess the exception!). As I said, I didn't mind this at all - I can't say I'll be rushing back to it, but I can imagine times that I might be in the mood for it.

20/11/15 - Not giving me the feels I want
04/12/15 - Not bad at all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves