It's quite exciting to be sleeping here in this new room

Continuing my journey across the output of The Bard Of Barking...

Talking With The Taxman About Poetry (1986)


I didn't buy (or even hear) this album until it became available as half of the compilation album Victim Of Geography - after that it's fair to say it received quite a few plays. Except for, bizarrely, one track that didn't find its way on to the compilation.

A Side

1. Greetings To The New Brunette
This is a lovely jangly opener featuring both Johnny Marr and Kirsty MacColl, so it's got a bit of a talent on it.  It's also got some great lyrics ("How can you lie there and think of England when you don't even know who's in the team?") although I've never been entirely sure whether it's about a couple growing together or growing apart - the internet also suggests that "the new brunette" might be a baby, which had never occurred to me.

2. Train Train
This is the track that didn't make it on to my version of the compilation (apparently it is on some of them). I guess it's to do with licensing issues because it's a cover of a 1976 track by - anyone? Yes, of course, it's The Count Bishops. Well, it's probably due to unfamiliarity but I can't say I was overly impressed with it.

3. The Marriage
This is another track about a young couple - in this case, he's obviously not 100% convinced that marriage is exactly necessary ("s
o drag me to the altar and I'll make my sacrifice"). It's back to a more traditional Billy sound which is fun to sing along to if not being exactly complex.

4. Ideology
This is also back to traditional Billy, but based around politics this time - you'd struggle to say it's not still very relevant ("expect 
a little more back for their taxes - like school books, beds in hospitals and peace in our bloody time"). I like it! Also, interestingly, Bob Dylan gets a writing credit on this song because it's based around his "Chimes Of Freedom" - and I bet you never knew that!

5. Levi Stubbs' Tears
For me, this is up there with his best - it's got a great tune (with some lovely guitar work) and some classy lyrics within a compelling reverse arc which manage to be both horrific ("he put a hole in her body where no hole should be") and redemptive ("
Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong are here to make everything right that's wrong"). It's a proper well-constructed song for grown-ups and I won't hear a word against it.

6. Honey, I'm A Big Boy Now
This suffers in comparison with the previous track, but it's still a pretty decent track with a decent arc, tune and lyrics ("she took everything she wanted, which is why she left me here").  It's also an interesting change because it's piano based with no guitars in sight.

B Side

1. There Is A Power In A Union
This is obviously one of Billy's favourites - I tolerate it to humour him, but there's not really a lot to it.

2. Help Save The Youth Of America
I always feel this is making a point that I don't really understand - I don't mind it but it's not my favourite.

3. Wishing The Days Away
A reasonably straightforward song about missing someone - nice enough, but nothing amazing.

4. The Passion
This is quite a well put together track - but, whilst I'm not entirely sure what it's about, it just feels very depressing.  It's another one featuring Johnny Marr as well.

5. The Warmest Room
This is another one about imbalance in a relationship - I get the feeling he's all a bit overwhelmed by her and what expectations she might have.  I quite like it though.

6. The Home Front
This was the only track from the album that I'd previously heard but didn't remember - reminding myself of it, it's fine but no more than that.

Two tracks obviously jump out for the playlist - "Greetings To The New Brunette" and "Levi Stubbs' Tears".  I think "Honey, I'm A Big Boy Now" comes in third and I feel I should have another slower one for balance so I'm going for "Ideology" because we need some politics to balance all the couple-y stuff.

Wikipedia points out that, unlike his previous offerings, this album is Billy and other people and other instruments - it really is a step change from the previous album.  A couple more interesting facts for you - the album title is also the title of a Vladimir Mayakovsky poem (good old Vlad, eh?) and the original album cover has the subtitle "The Difficult Third Album".  It peaked at #8 on the charts and managed an eight week run.

All in all, it doesn't feel like it was all that difficult for him though - it shows growth and it's got some great tracks on it, several of which are staples of his live show.  He absolutely LOVES "There Is Power In A Union", but it's "Greetings To The New Brunette" and "Levi Stubbs' Tears" that I long to hear.

Brewing Up With Billy Bragg - some definite growth
Worker's Playtime - Fine, but more of the same

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves