Running down corridors through automatic doors

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

13/02/05 : Tourist - Athlete

I'm pretty certain I didn't own this but I'm sure I listened to it - I seem to recall I found it enjoyable but insubstantial.  But I could be making that all up...

Well, it's certainly enjoyable and I think insubstantial would be harsh, although I think even its mother would struggle to describe it as deep.  I knew and liked "Wires" and I also quite liked "Half Light" and "Trading Air" as well - the rest of it was all perfectly pleasant with more variety in there than I was expecting.  There's maybe a little too much slow piano on there, which is unnecessarily reminiscent of Coldplay (although his voice is less annoying than Chris Martin's).  I was also very much reminded of Embrace, who I think were around at about the same time.

We're at #3 in the chart this week on a surprisingly long 32 week run with it having debuted (again surprisingly) at #1.  The rest of the top five were KeaneScissor Sisters, Franz Ferdinand and Green Day (our third one in a row with a decent top five!) and the highest new entry this week was Michael McDonald with a Motown collection (#29).

Wikipedia has a surprising amount on the album (especially considering how little there was on Hot Fuss) - it's their second album, with the critics noting its more commercial aspects than their debut.  And, unsurprisingly, some of them liked this and some of them didn't - but it appears they all felt the need to comment on it (and Coldplay are mentioned quite a few times as well).  Commercially, it didn't quite have the global impact of Coldplay - away from here, it troubled the lower reaches of the charts in a few European countries but that was it.

"Customers also listened to" Embrace (I told you), Starsailor (yup, them as well), The Magic Numbers (hmmm) and Hard-fi (really?).  Athlete have been somewhat forgotten over the years by the musical consensus but I struggle to see this was any worse than anything else of the ilk that was around this time - I didn't mind it at all.

06/20/05 - Perfectly fine
20/02/05 - One of the finest first halves out there

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves