Watch this space (again!)

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's top 50 films of 2023

#44 :  The Future Tense

Semi-dramatised essay film by Joe Lawlor and Christine Molloy explores complicated national loyalties alongside those of an extraordinary rebel.

Normally, if I can't find a film I like to give myself a bit of time to track it down so I skip over it and assume I'll find it eventually.  But in the case of Tish, this and another couple of films coming up soon, they just sound so niche and obscure that I'm happy to accept it's just not going to happen - it's almost as if The Guardian are challenging people with their perversity.   But they wouldn't do that now, would they?

Once again, we've got a film without a Wikipedia entry - The Guardian's review gives more detail but it doesn't really help all that much.  Apparently, it's a study of the film-makers family history structured around a plane journey between London and Dublin, somehow interlinked with Rose Dugdale, an English debutante who was radicalised by the 1968 student riots and joined the IRA.  I suspect I'd either quite enjoy this film and find it clever or I'd be utterly bemused by it - I'd quite like to find out which, but I suspect that's unlikely.

The thing I was most surprised about is that we've previously met Joe Lawlor and Christine Molloy - they directed Rose Plays Julie which I remember very little about but apparently I really enjoyed, so that just makes me want to watch this more.  So much so that I'm almost tempted to take up the free trial for MUBI, which is the only place that it appears you can actually find this.

#45 - Two unlikeable characters
#43 - Why do people do these things?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves