The moon may be high but i can't see a thing in the sky

Finishing up my trip back through the 1977 album charts.

02/01/77 : I Only Have Eyes For You - Johnny Mathis

It's another weird week for albums to be ignored - we skip over fifteen best-ofs or compilations and two comedy albums, one from Max Boyce and one from Pam Ayres (which I might have been tempted by, but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet).  Which brought us to Johnny, who I only know from "A Child Is Born", so I'm expecting more of the same but it could be anything really, couldn't it?

Yeah, it doesn't stray too far from "A Child Is Born" which is the final track on the album.  He does have a lovely voice though which makes it all bearable, if somewhat cheesy and dated (although half the charts have been dated this year).  I liked his versions of "Do You Know Where You Are Going To?" and "Send In The Clowns" but I'd struggle to say there's anything remarkable about the album.

We're all the way down at #25 in the chart this week on his last week of a three week run, which was his second run after having managed six weeks in mid '76.  The top five this week were Queen, Glen Campbell's 20 Golden Greats (which is one of the few of these actually worthy of its name), ABBA, a Showaddywaddy best-of and a Disco Rocket compilation (which featured quite a few artists I'd heard of, but no songs I was previously aware of) and the highest new entry was a live album from The Carpenters (#29) closely followed by 20 Wombling Greats (#30) which contains "Minuetto Alegretto" which I used to own as a single (a LONG time ago!).

Wikipedia tells me the album is mostly covers but does feature a couple of new songs - apart from that there's quite a lot of text there, but absolutely no items of interest at all!  His entry is much more interesting - this is his 47th studio album of 73 in total and there are also 30 compilation albums if you need more Mathis in your lives.  He's been somewhat successful over the years - allegedly he's sold 370 million albums making him the third most successful artist of the twentieth century, but you always have to take these numbers with a large pinch of salt.

"Customers also listened to" a LOT of other Johnny Mathis albums, Paul Smith and Andy Williams - some easy listening sounds for you there.  As is this album - it's perfectly fine but hardly a memorable way to end the year!

And what a mixed bag of a year it was - as the following write-up will most definitely show...

1977 - A mixed bag of a year
09/01/77 - Certainly something

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves