I think I'm gonna need some therapy - oh babe I hope you've got a PHD

Continuing my trip back through the 2005 album charts.

17/07/05 : Tissues And Issues - Charlotte Church

I vaguely seem to recall this was Charlotte flexing her musical power and recording stuff she wanted to and, whilst not being great, wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Yeah, it's not great but I think it was way better than it might have been - there's more variety on there than I was expecting with Girls Aloud, Joss Stone, Celine Dion and Alicia Keys all popping into my head as comparisons at various times.  One thing that did surprise me is that on some songs her voice doesn't sound nearly as strong as it obviously is - but it's definitely still way better than we hear on a lot of Spice Girl solo efforts!  On the slower numbers like "Fool No More", "Easy Way Out" and "Even God" it sounds pretty strong - I guess it was a case of her finding her thing.  I didn't mind the album, but I'm not quite sure who it was aimed at because there's no obvious musical theme and it's nothing like her previous "voice of an angel" stuff - maybe it was just marketed along the lines of "you won't believe what she's doing now!".

We're at #5 with a new entry this week on the start of an impressive 27 week run (and it managed another six week run a month later as well) but this was as high as it got.  The rest of the top five this week were James BluntColdplay, Faithless and Kaiser Chiefs and the next highest new entry was The Gipsy Kings all the way down at #34.

Wikipedia tells us this is her fifth album, but very different from everything that came before - it did pretty well over here but also got to #27 in Ireland and #68 in Mexico, which seems quite bizarre indeed.  And that's you're lot!

"Customers also listened to" (and I was intrigued to see what this came up with) The London Welsh Male Voice Choir, The Tenors, Russell Watson and Katharine Jenkins - I'm pretty certain there's not a massive overlap in terms of musical style there compared to this album  Fair play to Charlotte for trying something else though - it's not brilliant, but she sounds like she's bought into it and I remember it seeming like she was enjoying it at the time.

10/07/05 - Really not very good
24/07/05 - An odd couple

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves