I need just a bit of sweet love, not your bittersweet love

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

02/02/24 : Bitter Sweet Love - James Arthur

Our second visit with the lad and last time I thought it was all a bit bland and pointless - I have absolutely no reason to expect anything different here.

Actually, I'd say this isn't quite bland and almost has a point - yes, it's the obvious mix of plaintive ballads and up-tempo rockier numbers, but they're all well done enough if you like that sort of thing.  No, I'm not going to be rushing back to it but considering he's one of the elder statesmen for this sort of thing (he won X Factor nearly 12 years ago now!) then he's done a decent enough job here.  That's quite some haircut he's got though, isn't it?

We are, of course, at #1 with a new entry this week and the rest of the new entry heavy top five are The Reytons (a new entry), The Smile (ditto from the Radiohead spin off), Noah Kahan and Tom Odell (another one!), with two more new entries in the top ten for Future Islands (#7) and Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes (#10).

Last week I said that Green Day would drop to #18 and I was being somewhat optimistic because they're at #26 - I struggle to imagine James is going to do that well, so let's go for #37.  And this week's Taylor stats are her usual - one in the top ten, five in the top twenty and nine in the entire chart.

Wikipedia has one whole sentence on the album - "Bitter Sweet Love is the fifth studio album by English singer-songwriter James Arthur, released on 26 January 2024 through Columbia Records".  It's done better than I expected commercially in Europe though - #15 in Ireland and #12 in Germany being the highlights.

"Customers also listened to" Tom Odell, Mark Forster, Lewis Capaldi and Tom Grennan - I don't know Mark but none of the other names surprise me, with this album being particularly Grennanish.  It's not really my thing, but I imagine those people who got it to #1 are pleased enough with what he's served them up.

26/01/24 - Yeah, I liked this
09/02/24 - Well worth a listen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves