He's not sorry for what he's done

Continuing my trip back through the 1977 album charts.

23/01/77 : Johnny The Fox - Thin Lizzy

Our second visit with Thin Lizzy this year - I was disappointingly unimpressed last time so am hoping for better this time.

Yeah, as much as I remember the previous album, at first listen this went down a lot better.  I mean, it's not remarkable - it's pretty standard 70s rock but there's some decent enough hooky riffs and guitar work in there.  And that's all I've got to say about it really - it kinda delivers what I expected it to (in a much better way than our previous visit) and at 36 minutes it doesn't hang around too long doing so.

We're at #20 this week on their second week of a thirteen week run which is a decent enough effort by itself but it's actually their second run, with them having spent ten weeks previously before having a two week rest - I assume a single was responsible for the resurgence of interest.  The top five this week were Slim Whitman, ABBAStevie WonderDavid Soul and ABBA again with a best-of and the highest new entry was Hit Scene (#19) - which is a compilation album with a strange mix of tracks anyone would recognise and ones no-one would.

Wikipedia has more than I was expecting on the album (105 milliPeppers) and it was their seventh album and the last to feature guitarist Brian Robertson "as the personality clashes between him and Lynott resulted in Robertson being sacked, reinstated, and later sacked again".  Phil Lynott wrote the songs in hospital recovering from hepatitis and it seems like him and Brian then spent a lot of time arguing as to whether they were shite or not.  Apparently Phil Collins played on some tracks but no-one can remember which ones and the critics were nice enough about it, although they couldn't agree whether it was better or worse than their previous album.  Commercially, it did best here but achieved something in a few random countries - #17 in Sweden and #52 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" Emerson Rose, Cheap Trick, Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult - it's fair to say they are not my sort of thing at all.  I have a bit of a soft spot for Thin Lizzy though (partly because Phil Lynott was Leslie Crowther's son-in-law and I like to imagine how their family get-togethers were) and whilst this album isn't exactly spectacular, it's more in line with what I was expecting and it passed the time acceptably.

16/01/77 - Just too long
30/01/77 - A lovely voice

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves