Everyday of my life until forever is spoken for

Continuing my trip back through the 1977 album charts.

20/03/77 : Visions - Don Williams

I don't remember Don being that big over here so I just assumed this was a best-of, but Wikipedia assures me it isn't, so lucky old Don gets the benefit of my opinion.  I don't really know anything about him but believe him to be something like John Denver - I struggle to imagine it's going to challenge my ears too much, except for possibly an excess of slide gee-tar.

Yeah - that's pretty much where we are.  He's actually got a very nice voice - the songs aren't exactly pushing any musical boundaries but if you want something you sing along to in a country vein, then this is exactly what we've got here.  There's an awful lot of falling in love, being in love and losing love going on but I guess that's what the listeners were after.  This sort of thing I generally tolerate but every so often stumble across a song that I love - that didn't happen here though (finding a song I loved I mean - it was all perfectly tolerable).

We're at #16 in the charts this week on his sixth week of a surprisingly long nineteen week run, with it peaking at #15 in its fifth week.  The top five this week were best-ofs from Frank Sinatra and The Shadows, ABBA, the Heartbreakers compilation and a Status Quo live album (which I am pleased I can reject) and the highest new entry was Kiki Dee (#29) - a WOMAN?!?

Wikipedia tells us that this is his sixth album and, despite there being more sentences there than I was expecting, that seems to be pretty much it for content.  It appears the album did much better here than anywhere else - it got to #98 in Australia and nowhere in the US.  Odd things happened in the charts in 1977, didn't they?

"Customers also listened to" Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbitt, Charley Pride and Ronnie Milsap - I know some of Kenny's stuff but that's your lot from me on them!  And it's not like I'm au fait on Don's stuff, but I think I'd like to check out his best-of because I think I'd probably quite like some of them - but this album merely provided bearable background noise.

13/03/77 - Well, I got that wrong!
27/03/77 - Does what it sets out to do

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves