What did I see in you - I've changed my mind

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

17/06/90 : Other Voices : Paul Young

After two recent entries where I pushed the envelope somewhat, it's the artist's turn to take a bit of a chance - most of this album is cover versions, but there's three original tracks on here so it just squeaks in under the (somewhat movable) wire.  I'd have to say my expectations aren't particularly high but let's see shall we?  And no, we never owned it (7/29).

Well, he's still got a nice voice but maybe not quite a nice as it used to be and the songs are really very dull - none of them stood out for me.  And that's all I've got to say on the matter really.  I'm also not sure what's going on with the album cover either - he just looks a bit odd.

We're all the way down at #13 this week on his second week of an eleven week run, with it having peaked at #2 in its debut week.  The top five were Pavarotti, The Beach Boys (a new entry about to embark on a seventeen week run), Soul II Soul, The Bangles and Phil Collins with the next highest new entry being Jean Michel Jarre (#14) - and there's another somewhat bizarre new entry at #25 for David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust.

Wikipedia has nothing of interest on the album until we scan the personnel section and then we can be amazed at some of the names involved in this most nondescript of albums - Nile Rodgers, Steve Winwood, David Gilmour, Pino Palladino, Anne Dudley, Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khan and, quite obviously, Carlos Fuentes, the Mexican novelist.  What an impressive (and wasted) selection of talent.  Commercially it only really hit the mark here - #40 in Sweden was its next most successful performance.

"Customers also listened to" Barbara Dickson, Alison Moyet, Nik Kershaw and Simply Red - not exactly the selection of artists I was expecting.  And whilst I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of any of them, all of them have, for me, produced more variety of work than Mr Young has - particularly here.

10/06/90 - 1500 not out with a decent album
24/06/90 - A proper album


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves