So many people smile on their faces

Continuing my trip back through the 1990 album charts.

15/07/90 : Between The Lines - Jason Donovan

Jason who?  Never heard of him!  I suspect I might not like this - and no, we never owned it (6/25).

Well, this is super-super-bland.  It all very much blanded in together but I was quite surprised I didn't recognise any of the songs - was his time in the spotlight already over at this point?  I don't really have anything more to say about it - it's just incredibly, incredibly dull.  And that is one cheesy album cover.

This week we're at #7 in the charts on his seventh week of a very generous nineteen week run with it having peaked at #2 for its first two weeks.  The top five were Pavarotti, Elton John, Poison (a new entry), The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys and there's one more new entry in the top ten for Magnum (#9 - and they're still going strong, with their latest album charting last year).  And if I thought Jason Donovan was bad, then at least I didn't have to listen to the next highest new entry which was Craig McClachan and Check-1-2 (#24).

Wikipedia doesn't have an awful lot on the album other than that it was his second and last album for SAW.  It wasn't nearly as successful as his debut so he recognised he needed to move on - and he was doing Joseph within a year.  Critical reception was surprisingly generous but it didn't really do anything away from here - it only got to #77 in Australia!

"Customers also listened to" Kylie Minogue, Sonia, Brother Beyond and Sinitta - a fine collection of musical maestros and no mistake.  But, whilst I think Jason is a decent enough fella (although not without his missteps in the past), this is just a very poor album.  I'd like to say it's dreadful, but it doesn't even manage to be that interesting.

08/07/90 - A very fine best-of
22/07/90 - Surprisingly bearable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves