You look up in the sky, see a high-flying guy

Continuing my trip back through the 1957 album charts.

10/02/57 : Rock The Joint - Bill Haley And His Comets 

Nine weeks skipped over this time, with the time at the top being shared by TKAI (six weeks) and Frank's best-of (three weeks).  Which brings us to a first appearance of the year for Bill, for whom my expectations are not exactly high.

Hmmm - it's an interesting one.  It's actually similar to the last offering we saw from him in that he's trying something different from that old rock'n'roll but the variety here is quite interesting.  Some of it sounds very 50s, but some of it sounds surprisingly 70s - yes, I know he wasn't copying the 70s but I really wasn't expecting him to be ahead of his time.  Some of it sounds surprisingly like Status Quo or Mud, which quite surprised me.  "The Battle Of New Orleans" is just weird though - it sounds like something The Goodies would have done.  And let's not start on "Rocking Chair On The Moon", shall we?

We're at #5 in the charts this week on its only week it ever appeared in the charts - for someone who is very well known, he actually didn't overly impact the charts in the UK with just the three albums making it, all of which we've now seen.  The rest of the chart was TKAIHigh SocietyLonnie Donegan and the Frank Sinatra best-of (a new entry).

Bizarrely, not only does Wikipedia not have an entry for the album, it also completely excludes it from his discography - I'm not sure that's ever happened before.  I read his entry but it was surprisingly dull - all I learned was that he was blind in one eye and had at least ten kids.

"Customers also listened to" "no similar recommendations" - which doesn't overly surprise me.  I didn't mind this, but I did find it a bit odd.

And, somewhat surprisingly, that's it for 1957 - that didn't last long, did it?  I've not actually decided where we're going next, but I can assure you it won't be the 50s...

21/04/87 - A most peculiar album
1957 - A strange year


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves