You're not going to end up like your mum and dad

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

21/02/99 : Life Thru A Lens - Robbie Williams

One I suspect I've heard because "we" own it (21/45) - I can't say I remember too much about it, but I'm sure it'll come back to me.  I'm also, after my last experience with Robbie, not totally dreading it - in fact, after my previous experience with Blondie, I'm almost looking forward to it.

Well, it's got "Angels" and "Let Me Entertain You" on it, so I can't be totally rude about it - but actually I don't really feel the need to be rude about it at all.  I would say that I don't think it took anyone very long to write "One Of God's Better People" but to balance that I'd forgotten about "Old Before I Die" which I quite like.  A lot of it is surprisingly Lightning Seeds-ish and there's obvious Oasis influences as well, both of which I'd have accepted without a second glance at the time - I rejected it back then because it was Robbie, but I can't work up the effort now.  Am I getting old and sensible?  Nooooo...

We're at #8 in the chart again this week on his 68th week of a 108 week run - which is impressive, but it was actually its second run, with its first run being a mere four weeks with it seeming to run the risk of sinking without a trace, but it rose from the dead strongly.  It's spent a mere two weeks at #1 (in its 23rd & 24th weeks), but it did manage a 42 week run in the top ten.  The top five this week were The CorrsRobbie Williams (who he?), Blondie (a new entry), Lauryn Hill and Fatboy Slim and the next highest new entry was The Creatures (really?!?) all the way down at #80.

Wikipedia has less than I was expecting on such a successful album, but some of it is quite interesting.  The working title was The Show-off Must Go On, his first solo single was a cover of George Michael's "Freedom" (not on this album) and it was "Angels" that saved the album from obscurity - which was the fourth single off the album, although the first to be released after the album.  The critics were a bit mixed at the time and Melody Maker's comment that it "feels more like a press release than an album" does seem fair enough to me, but of course they all agree it's great now.  It did best over here (selling 2.4 million copies) but also did well in Ireland (#6), Finland (#2) and Argentina (#9) - a random selection of countries if ever I saw one.

"Customers also listened to" Aerosmith, Wet Wet Wet, The Calling and Natalie Imbruglia - which is a particularly bizarre mix for anyone, let alone Robbie.  I have to say though, the lad has done OK this year - I didn't like him then and I don't like him now, but nostalgia's a wonderful thing and I'm prepared to say I actually enjoyed some of this and the rest of it was, as before, perfectly bearable.

14/02/99 - Not my thing, but not hateful
28/02/99 - A really poor album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves