Plinky-plonk

Continuing my trip back through the 1956 album charts.

09/09/56 : The Eddie Duchin Story OST - Carmen Cavallero

Another week skipped, with Carousel at #1 and TKAI a new entry at #4 being the only information of interest.  Which brings us to Eddie Duchin - I have absolutely no idea who he is or why I should be interested in his story and I'm wondering whether the album is going to help with that.

Nope - it's just some dude playing the ol' Joanna.  He's obviously more talented than I am, but I had absolutely no interest in hearing him - it was all very twiddly and flowery.  A lot of it sounded like the incidental music on the version of Paddington they used to show on telly when I was a child.  It also, somewhat bizarrely contained a version of "Chopsticks" - just no thank you, Mr Cavallero.

We're at #5 in the charts this week at the end of a four week run with it having reached the dizzy heights of #3 in its second week - the rest of the top five were Carousel, Frank SinatraBill Haley and Oklahoma!.

Wikipedia tells me that Eddie Duchin was an American band leader and pianist who lead an interesting life.  However, his life was not overly close to the life depicted in The Eddie Duchin Story - which was one of the most popular films of 1956, starring Tyrone Power and Kim Novak.  Carmen Cavallero (who I'd also never heard of) was also a pretty famous American pianist - apparently Liberace drew inspiration from both Eddie and Carmen.  Gee thanks, I guess.

"Customers also listened to" The Miracles, Juanito Valderrama, Ara-Viktoria and T.Srinivas - I have absolutely no idea what's going on there.  I can appreciate the levels of skill involved on this album, but I'd really rather he'd applied his skills in some other direction - instrumental film soundtracks are not my sort of thing at the best of times but I found this one particularly tiresome.

02/09/56 - Odd, but perfectly fine
23/09/56 - A most peculiar beast

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves