Amateur mistake, you can take it from me

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

22/09/23 : The Land Is Inhospitable And So Are We - Mitski 

Apparently, I didn't mind her last album at all, but I'd have to say I don't remember it in the slightest - maybe my memory will be jogged when I listen to this.

Nope - but considering I described the last album as pretty 80s I suspect she changes her sound around, but this is very much not an 80s sounding album.  It's medium-fi (a step up from lo-fi) singer-songwriter stuff - not unpleasant but not particularly memorable.  Which is a bit of a shame - I was hoping for more.  That's quite some font she uses on the album cover though!

We're at #4 with a new entry this week - seems like a decent effort for the lass.  The rest of the top five are Busted (a new entry for a best-of - I recognise three of the fifteen tracks), Olivia Rodrigo, The Weeknd and other Olivia Rodrigo and the next highest new entry is Ash (#14).  Last week I said that Olivia would drop to #4 and I was certainly on the right lines there - I suspect Mitski is going to be doing well to stay in the chart at all but I'm going to be generous and put her at #89.  This week's Taylor stats show a bit of a resurgence for the poor lass after a DREADFUL week last week - she's got three in the top ten. four in the top twenty and eight in the whole chart.

Wikipedia has considerably more on the album than I was expecting (83 milliPeppers) but most of it just says how much the critics loved it - which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.  It also tells me she organised a 17 piece choir to accompany her (you'd never guess there was so many of them) and I even recognise some of the names (Caitlin Rose, Courtney Taylor).  Commercially, it's done better than I'd have expected - top thirty in quite a few countries.

"Customers also listened to" Sufjan Stevens, Ricky Montgomery, Faye Webster and Haley Heynderickx (crazy name!) - I'm only aware of Sufjan out of that lot and I can definitely see a connection.  Mitksi remains a curiosity for me - I feel there are probably tracks/albums of hers I'd like, but that requires me to do some investigation.  Maybe I'll get round to it some day - but probably now!

15/09/23 - A Friday Brucie bonus
29/09/23 - Enjoyably forgettable

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves