Close the door behind you, leave your key

Continuing my trip back through the 1999 album charts.

08/08/99 : My Love Is Your Love - Whitney Houston

Our second visit with Whitney and last time I found it to be a variable affair - I'm expecting this to be more consistent, but unfortunately consistently poorer in quality.  But we shall see - either way, it's certainly not one we've ever owned (8/21)...

I actually knew the opener "It's Not Right But It's Okay" but I'd completely forgotten it was Whitney - it's pretty identikit R&B, albeit well done identikitness.  The same also applies to the title track, although it's reggae-ish beat makes it slightly less identikit than expected.  I didn't know any of the rest of it, but it's all well done if not exactly exceptional - she definitely had a lovely voice and it's shown off here well.  It's not really my thing, but perfectly harmless and undoubtedly better than I was expecting.

We're at #6 in the charts this week on her 38th week of a 70 week run, with it having peaked at #4 in her 35th and 36th weeks, which is a slow ride up and a slow ride down (and was actually considerably more successful than her previous album, I'm Your Baby Tonight).  The top five this week were Boyzone, Ricky MartinShania, an Elvis Costello best-of (a new entry which features some fine tracks) and Travis and the next highest new entry is Alison Krauss all the way down at #77.

Wikipedia has a massive amount on the album (476 milliPeppers) but surprisingly little content with the critics liking it (Rolling Stone suggested her marital woes contributed to its effectiveness, which feels like a bit of a stretch to me) and it doing phenomenally well commercially.  Surprisingly, it only got to #13 in the US but it seems like a big part of the reason for that was that it seemed like releasing an album for Thanksgiving was a big thing back then with Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Jewel, Method Man, The Offspring and Seal all releasing albums in the same week - which provides more than the usual level of competition.  It still managed to sell over ten million copies globally though - which is a pretty decent effort, I guess.

"Customers also listened to" Deborah Cox (who sounds like she should work in HR rather than be a recording artist), Brandy (a much less HR-kinda sounding name), Jennifer Hudson and Janet Jackson - that's a whole lot of warbling going on there.  As I said, I found this better than I was expecting but it's really not my thing.

01/08/99 - I wasn't expecting to like this
15/08/99 - A massively successful album

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves