Please release me, let me go - for I don't love you any more.

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

11/02/68 : Release Me - Engelbert Humperdinck

Well, if I had to pick an artist that I'd bump into three times in '68, I don't think it would have been Engelbert - even if I re-did albums that I'd met before, I think I'd only have hit The Beatles and The Stones twice.  But here we are, with some not exactly high expectations, but also not expecting to hate it.

And yeah, it's not hateable - it doesn't hurt that it opens with the title track, which is 100% cheese but there's no doubting it's quality cheese.  And I thought the rest of the album felt a bit stronger than our previous visits - I'm sure that most of them are covers, but they're not as obviously covers as we've previously seen and there's slightly more of a guitar/keyboard sound on this album than 100% strings.  It's quite the album cover as well - the man is rocking some sideburns there!

We're at #24 in the charts this week on his 40th week of a 58 week run (of course he did) with it having peaked at #6 in its 17th and 19th weeks.  The top five this week were The Four Tops best-of, The Supremes best-of, TSOMSgt Pepper and The Monkees, the highest new entry was Frankie McBride (#29 - never heard of him!) and there are no new women in the charts.

Wikipedia doesn't have anything on the album, so I'll just have to give you some facts on the title track - it was written in '49 by Eddie Miller and Robert Yount and has since been recorded by just about everyone!  Engelbert's version has been the most successful though, getting to #1 for six weeks, keeping The Beatles' "Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever" off the top in the process and it stayed in the charts for 56 weeks.  It also got to #4 in the US - no-one was safe!  And a nice bit of trivia for you - the session guitarists used on the track were Big Jim Sullivan (who played with just about everyone in the 60s and 70s) and an unknown-at-the-time Jimmy Page.

"Customers also listened to" OC Smith, Wayne Newton, Brian Hyland and Tom Jones - who apparently hated Engelbert with a passion for many years.  I can't say I'm his biggest fan, but I couldn't be bothered to work up the energy to hate him - this album ain't great but if I had to listen to one of his albums again, it's in with a shout.

04/02/68 - Yeah, I liked this
18/02/68 - Who was buying this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves