I could build a bridge. Or produce a movie!

Continuing my trip up The Guardian's top 50 films of 2022

#19 : Competencia oficial (Official Competition)

Penélope Cruz is on fire in delicious movie industry satire in which she plays an eccentric director using unorthodox techniques to manage lead actors – and polar opposites – Antonio Banderas and Oscar Martínez.


Penélope and Antonio are an interesting pair because I totally accept that they're both fine actors but, off the top of my head, I'm unable to think of any films they've been in that I've particularly enjoyed - and a quick Google doesn't suggest anything either, although it does tell me that Antonio is going to be in the upcoming Paddington film, so I'm looking forward to that (it also reminds me what a strange film Spy Kids 3 was).  I'd kinda swerved this because I thought it was a Pedro Almodovar film but it turns out that's a different film we'll be seeing later (also starring Penélope) - so I've got no idea what to expect here, but I can't say the phrase "delicious movie industry satire" is making me salivate.

Well, this was way more enjoyable than I was expecting.  It's very much a triple-header with them all over-acting their little socks off - but in a "we know perfectly well what we're doing" kinda way.  The film follows a wealthy businessman's vanity project (see the title quote) as a "serious" novel is turned into a film via an extremely tortuous route.

Lola Cuevas (Penélope) is the unconventional director called in who is very much going to put her spin on it ("you do know I'll make a very loose version of the novel, don't you?") and she has all the latest tricks and exercises up her sleeve to challenge the actors, making more and more ridiculous requests of them to bend them to her vision, whatever that might be.  Whilst, at the same time, rocking the most FABULOUS hairstyle!

And the actors in question are Félix Rivero (Antonio) and Iván Torres (Oscar - who I wasn't previously aware of) who come from very different worlds.  Felix is a a vain superstar who doesn’t take anything too seriously and is in it for whatever he can get, whereas Iván is a serious older method actor who is all about the craft and doesn't have time for anything new-fangled.

And basically, they're all absolute monsters in their own way - and they constantly try to out-wit and out-monster each other, some of which leave you speechless and some of which leave you chuckling.  I actually found this film a lot funnier than I was expecting - part of it is the over-the-top luvviness of the characters, but it also manages to get some basic level chuckles in there as well.  Although I'd also say there are several scenes in there which just seem bizarre - you suspect you're supposed to laugh at them, but you're not sure why.

You also have no idea how it's going to end and when it gets there it's quite impressively done.  There are several points at which the film might end and with each one you think "oh, that was good!" - and then another one comes along.  And the final ending is cool - a full screen face shot which lingers considerably longer than you expect (and I've absolutely no idea why, but it fits in well with the rest of the film).

As you'd expect, it's very well acted, with them all looking like they're having a blast being monstrous versions of themselves.  If I had to give the plaudits to anyone, I think I'd settle on Antonio - he's really good in this (and the man is looking very fine for 62, you'd have to say).  All the other roles in the film are very much supporting characters, but I'm going to mention José Luis Gómez as Humberto Suárez, the businessman putting up the money for the film - it's an amusing role and he's very sharp for an 83 year old.

It's very well written and beautifully filmed and for that we have the (to me) unknown Argentinians Gastón Duprat, Andrés Duprat and Mariano Cohn to thank.  It's a Spanish-Argentinian film and the feel is very Spanish and not just because of the language - it's very earnest but with a very dry humour (you think it’s a knowing humour, but you’re not always entirely sure).  Also, like a lot of Argentinian films we’ve seen, it has some absolutely stunning architecture - there are some AMAZING buildings in this.

I came to this very ignorant as to what I was going to get and it did a great job of pulling me in quickly and keeping me there - the nearly two hours flew by and were a load of fun, keeping me guessing as to where it was going to end up.  Yes, it is a bit too luvvy at times and it's also subtitled but get over yourself - you can read quickly enough to watch this and you'll have a blast with it.  At the time of writing, it's available to stream on Netflix and rent in all the other usual places and (in case you hadn't guessed) I strongly recommend it.

#20 - Just watch, don't think
#18 - A lovely film

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves