I know that one day soon a song shall rise

Continuing my trip back through the 1968 album charts.

18/08/68 : Come The Day - The Seekers

Given my only experience of The Seekers was our previous visit, I'm very much expecting this to sound similar.

Yeah - it's very similar without the mid-track chats!  It's mostly cover versions, although there a few originals on there - the title track (which is one of the better songs on the album) and a couple written with Paul Simon.  There are three songs on here which we've already seen this year - we've already heard them do "Georgy Girl" and "The Last Thing On My Mind" and "California Dreamin'" are both better than José's efforts.  Overall, the songs are perfectly fine and she's got a nice voice, but I find it somewhat baffling how popular they were - I imagine that you could have popped down any working men's club around this time and there'd be a group churning this stuff out in the corner in their sleep.

We've dropped even further down the chart this week to #17 on their sixth week of a 23 week run - pretty impressive, you probably think.  Except that this is their second run with the first one having been 44 weeks and there was ten months in between!  It peaked at #3 - spending seven weeks there, including five consecutive weeks.  The top five this week were Simon & GarfunkelTom Jones, TCWOAB, The Hollies and Engelbert, with the highest new entry being Johnny Cash (#30 with one we've met before) and there were no new women featured in the charts.

Wikipedia tells me it's their fifth album, was titled "Georgy Girl" in the US (where it peaked at #2!) and the critics liked it.  And that's your lot!

"Customers also listened to" Judith Durham, The New Seekers and Mary Hopkin - it's fair to say the fans don't stray too far from the sound.  And it's a sound I don't find unpleasant, but I struggle to see exactly what makes The Seekers QUITE so popular.

11/08/68 - All sorts on this one!
25/08/68 - A swift repeat visit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves