I could kidnap the sky and pour it straight into my glass

Continuing my trip forward in time through the album charts

28/04/23 : A Kiss For The Whole World - Enter Shikari 

Our third visit with my hometown boys (they sponsor the mighty Saints!) and they're definitely a band who have grown on me over the years and I actually quite enjoyed catching up with them at Reading last year.  So I've got a reasonable amount of hope for this!

And yeah, it's not bad at all - pretty similar to our last visit (as much as I can remember it).  It all has the potential to take itself far too seriously - Muse are still very much a touchponit, but it feels like they just keep it the right side of the line.  I particularly liked "Leap Into The Lightning" and the interesting orchestral sounds on "Bloodshot (coda)".  It also has some great track titles - "(pls) set me on fire", "feed yøur søul" and "giant pacific octopus swirling off into infinity..." making me chuckle.

We're at #1 with a new entry this week - their first chart topper, so well done, lads!  The next three in the chart are also new entries being The 1975 (a recording with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra - it'll either me good or dreadful), Everything But The Girl (fine, but not as good as I hoped for) and Taylor Swift (an extended version of Folklore from the looks of things) with The Weeknd completing the top five.  The next new entry is, somewhat surprisingly, also Enter Shikari (#15 - a live album) followed by, also surprisingly, Jethro Tull (#17 - 55 years after their debut album).

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album - most of it is on the positive critical reaction and I think Sputnikmusic sum it up for all of us when they say "it is well worth the time of any long-term band-fan, particularly those in need of their, uh, electrosynphonicorepop fix".  It's also got to #13 in Germany - it feels like the sort of thing they go for over there.

"Customers also listened to" You Me At Six, Hundred Reasons, Black Honey and Cody Frost - I've seen Black Honey live (the day before I saw Enter Shikari), but that's all I've got on that lot.  I enjoyed this though and if they pop up at Glasto (which wouldn't be the biggest surprise) I'll wander along and check them out.

21/04/23 - Just not for me
05/05/23 - Fun, diverting and honest

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves