Fish from the paper, fresh from the sea

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

25/04/10 : Wake Up The Nation - Paul Weller

Our fourth visit with Mr Weller and, with the exception of Stanley Road (which is obviously an excellent album), it's not been a great selection from the lad.  So I'm hoping for something listenable, but I'd have to admit my expectations are not sky-high.

But, before we do that, we need to consider why we're not listening to AC/DC which is a new entry above Mr Weller this week.  It's the Iron Man 2 soundtrack which initially isn't a great sign because soundtracks are generally a no-no, but if they're all original tracks then they're fine.  But, well, this is an odd one - because none of them are original tracks.  It seems like Iron Man 2 was determined to use one or two classic AC/DC tracks but someone convinced them to use only AC/DC tracks and the band couldn't pass up the opportunity to release a random compilation album as a result - as they'd previously done for Maximum Overdrive.  All very odd and definitely not one to consider - so let's go back to the potential disappointment of Paul...

But, hoorah - it's a pleasant surprise!  It's definitely more like Stanley Road than his previous disappointments and even harking back to his Jammy hay days.  It all felt enjoyably vital and all the tracks were short and sweet, so if you didn't like one, then you were quickly on to the next one.  I liked most of the tracks though and I really liked "No Tears To Cry" - it's a fine track.  If I had to quibble I'd say it is a bit kitchen sinky at times and there are some strange noises in places, but it wasn't overwhelming.  I would also have liked to see some slower tracks on there - I think he does them well, but I guess he wasn't in the mood for them on this.

We're at #2 in the charts with a new entry on the start of a ten week run - probably what it deserved in the grand scheme of things, but musically it feels like it deserved more.  The rest of the top five were AC/DC (another new entry, as previously discussed), Plan B, Meat Loaf (another new entry - and I'm pleased I don't have to listen to an album called Hang Loose Teddy Bear) and Scouting For Girls - and we have another new entry in the top ten with Kate Nash (#8).

Wikipedia doesn't have a lot on the album, but there are some interesting names involved with the album - Bev Bevan (ELO's drummer), Bruce Foxton (ex of The Jam - and the first time these two had played together since) and Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine - I know, weird, right?!?).  The critics were big fans and the album did better than you might expect across Europe - including #11 in Flanders, #29 in Norway and #30 in Germany.  The French weren't so keen though, with it getting to the dizzy heights of #181.

"Customers also listened to" Dodgy, McAlmont & Butler, Edwyn Collins and Supergrass - well, that's an odd bunch and no mistake.  None of whom I totally see the connection to Mr Weller - but when do we expect logic to apply to such things?!?  Ignoring such nonsense, I really quite liked this - it feels like it would need a few more listens to click but I'd be happy to give it the chance.

18/04/10 - Very average and forgettable
02/05/10 - Why do people like this?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves