You think I'm funny when I tell the punch line wrong

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

05/09/10 : Teenage Dream - Katy Perry

Our first visit with the fantastically successful Ms Perry - and my first visit to one of her albums, but I've enjoyed most of her singles over the years, so my hopes are reasonably high.  And I still chuckle whenever I think of her Superbowl performance with The Pathetic Sharks...

And well, given that I've enjoyed her singles, I can't really complain about this album because it's all very much in that vein.  Except to maybe say that it could have shown a bit more variety - but I'm guessing she was just giving the fans what they wanted and I didn't get absolutely sick of it, so there must have been more variety than there initially appeared there was.  To be fair "Who I Am Living For?" is an obvious change of tempo and I liked it.  The album as a whole is not going to convert anyone to be a KatyCat, but if you want some bubblegum pop then are far worse albums you could end up with.

We're at #1 with a new entry at the start of an impressive 118 week run - and she's managed another 170 weeks in the charts since, with her spending most of '21 and '22 in there and she's currently on an 11 week run in this year.  So yeah, it's done OK for itself!  The rest of the top five were Eminem, Biffy Clyro, Mumford & Sons and Arcade Fire and we have two more new entries in the top ten - Pretty Reckless (#7 - I enjoyed this album way more than I was expecting) and Disturbed (#8 - never heard of 'em, but they're gonna be heavy, aren't they?).

Wikipedia has a LOT on the album (558 milliPeppers) - but there's not an awful load of content.  It was the second (and currently last) album to spawn five #1 singles (the other one being Michael Jackson's Bad) - it's weird how I totally remembered "Teenage Dream", "Last Friday Night", "California Gurls" and "Firework" but "ET" rang no bells at all.  Some of the critics were a bit sniffy about it to start with, but after its success, they've all changed their mind now and declare it to be pop perfection.  And boy, was it successful - sellng six million copies globally.  She had a single from it in the US top ten for an astonishing 69 week run and it has appeared in the UK year end charts in '10, '11, '12, '13, '21 and '22!

"Customers also listened to" Keisha, Demi Lovato, Carly Rae Jepson and Lady Gaga - I'm not going to argue with of those scary ladies.  And I wouldn't dream of arguing with Ms Perry either - it's not going to be for everyone, but it's a good example of "that sort of thing" and we all need that from time to time, although "I Kissed A Girl" is still my favourite track of hers.

29/08/10 - Not his best for me
12/09/10 - I'm not sure what to do with this

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves