Standing on the edge of forever at the start of whatever

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

26/12/10 : Progress - Take That

Ah - it's Christmas time at some point in the last thirty years, so the odds are pretty good that there will be a Take That album in the charts.  Sigh, here we go again...

Yeah, it's pretty much what I was expecting.  I have to own up to not minding "The Flood", but after that it goes downhill pretty rapidly for me.  A lot of it sounds like your dad has discovered GarageBand - it's not horrible and some of it sounds quite professional, but it's mostly just a bit boring and sounds quite dated now.  I guess if it keeps him out of the pub then it's doing some good though.  And we're starting the year with one "we" owned - can you guess which one of us was responsible for that?

We're at #1 in the charts this week (as we nearly always are when we start a new year) - it's on its fifth week and they've all been spent at the top so far.  They manage two more weeks at #1 in the 59 week run it racks up - somewhat surprisingly, it's never been back in the charts since the beginning of '12 though.  The rest of the top five were Rihanna, Michael Buble (not the Christmas album, because that didn't come out until next year), Olly Murrs and Michael Jackson  - and there were no new entries in the entire chart.

Wikipedia tells me this was their last album with their original line-up after Robbie came back for this one - both he and Jason were missing from the next one.  And I can't help but think that people were excited for the return of Robbie, because this album just flew off the shelves - it was the top selling album of the year, despite only being released in mid November.  The critics were surprisingly nice about it as well, considering it to show progress and enjoying the return of Robbie - even NME gave it 7/10!

"Customers also listened to" Robbie Williams, Gary Barlow, Mark Owen and the soundtrack to the film Stardust.  Obviously.  If you're a fan of Take That, then I guess there's no reason why you won't like this, but I think it's safe to say it's not for me - I suspect the guys can live with that though...

2006 - Not the best year, but not the worst
19/12/10 - Not bad at all

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves