Can you feel me on your stereo?

Continuing my trip back through the 2010 album charts.

18/07/10 : Aphrodite - Kylie Minogue

Who would have thought that when Kylie first burst on to our screens in '86 as Charlene Robinson and then into our ears in '87 with "I Should Be So Lucky" that, over 35 years later, she'd still be hanging around - we met her last album in 2020 but this will be only our second visit with the lass.  I admire her longevity, but can't say there's been too much of her output I've loved (although I admit there was one single I couldn't get out of my head) - I'm expecting this to give us some pleasant enough but forgettable electro-pop (I think that's the phase she was in at this time).

And yeah, that's where our little Aussie electro-dance sex poppet was.  It's all perfectly fine, but five minutes after listening to it I couldn't tell you anything about any of the tracks.  But none of it hurt my ears though - it's all pretty inoffensive office Xmas party music.

We're at #2 in the charts this week on her second week of a sixteen week run, having debuted at #1 - all of which feels slightly generous to me.  But hey - it's Kylie.  The rest of the top five were Eminem, Eliza Doolittle (a new entry that's getting a sympathy listen as I write this because she's been very unlucky - and she might even get a sympathy write-up!), Plan B and Lady Gaga and we have one more new entry in the top ten with Bombay Bicycle Club (#8), who I saw at Glasto around this time and words fail me to describe exactly how undescribably boring they were.

Wikipedia has way more on the album than I was expecting (341 milliPeppers) - I've read it and I couldn't tell you anything that it was on about.  There's some curious characters involved in the album though - Nerina Pallot, Calvin Harris, Jake Shears, Tim Rice-Oxley (from Keane) and Richard X.  The critics were mostly nice enough about it, with quite a few considering it a return to form after her previous album, X - but there were also quite a few comments along the lines of "it's not exactly rocket science, is it?".  It did pretty well commercially though, getting to the top ten in a lot of countries - but only getting to the top spot here and in Greece.  Yup, it only got to #2 in Australia.

"Customers also listened to" Dannii Minogue, Mel C, Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Holly Vallance - all ladies from a certain time, some of whom have lasted longer than others.  But I suspect none of them will beat Kylie - she's gonna outlast us all.  Come the apocalypse, it's gonna be cockroaches and Kylie left - and she'll still be churning out this kinda stuff...

18/07/10 - An enjoyable sympathy listen
25/07/10 - Not enough to convince me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves