You got the world, boy - this all you make it?

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

14/05/06 : Waterloo To Anywhere - Dirty Pretty Things

In a call-back to yesterday's post, I also know Dirty Pretty Things have someone famous in them, but can't remember who - in this case, Wikipedia reminds me that it's Carl Barat, ex of The Libertines.  He was the talented one, so I have some hope for this, but not loads, if I'm being honest.

It's very Libertinesque (more than I was expecting) which isn't a sound I massively go for, but I can be in the mood for it at times.  So I tolerated it, but can't say I'll be rushing back to it and it felt like quite a long 36 minutes, so possibly could have done with a bit more variety.  It feels like it would be more fun live, but I'm not sure my mum would like it though (either live or listening from the comfort of her sofa).  It's a very art school album cover though, isn't it?

We're at #3 in the charts this week with a new entry starting a 14 week run - which feels longer than I was expecting, but Team Carl had a load of fans back in the day.  The rest of the top five were RHCP, (a new entry), Snow Patrol, Gnarls Barkley and The Kooks and the next highest new entries are the somewhat surprising pairing of John Fogerty (#32 - ex of Creedance Clearwater Revival) and Scott Walker (#51).

Wikipedia has very little on the album - not even a critical or commercial reception section, although I suspect it's reasonable to assume the critics loved it (except for Pete's mates) and it didn't do anything commercially anywhere except for here.  Carl's Wikipedia entry is quite interesting - particularly the bit on his relationship with Pete Doherty where Carl toured Japan with The Libertines without telling Pete, so Pete broke into Carl's flat and nicked a load of his stuff, which then resulted in him going to prison!  Aaah - happy days!

"Customers also listened to" The Libertines, Babyshambles, The Pigeon Detectives and The Futureheads - two of these make more sense than the other two to me.  If you like this sort of sound, then I can't see any reason why you won't like this but it's not really my sort of thing.  It also sounds very much of its time - I struggle to imagine too many people revisit it these days.

07/05/06 - Better than I remembered
21/05/06 - One I enjoyed a lot more than I expected

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves