I'm pulling my questions from my shelf

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

21/05/06 : Broken Boy Soldiers - The Raconteurs

I know The Raconteurs have someone famous in them, but can't remember who - Wikipedia reminds me it's Jack White (and yes, I had to think twice to differentiate him from Jack Black).  I seem to recall I didn't like their stuff, but don't really remember much about - so let's just make an effort to pretend I'm coming to it totally fresh.

Actually, I didn't mind this at all - it's a very 60s/70s sound.  Beatlesish in places with more than a dash of Led Zep in others - and definite skills on the instruments as well.  It's not really my sort of thing at all, but I found it pleasantly listenable and can quite imagine it rewards a relisten.  I also suspect they were very entertaining live - I had to check that I didn't pass up the option to see them at Glasto, but they played a year I wasn't able to make it.  That's quite some band photo on the album cover though...

We're at #2 with a new entry at the start of a 19 week run, which suggests that quite a few people came to this after it had come out.  The rest of the top five are RHCP, Feeder (another new entry), Snow Patrol and Gnarls Barkley and we have another new entry for The Beautiful South at #6, with their final album Superbi, which I'd never even heard of!

Wikipedia has more on the album that I was expecting, but it's light on content - the band got together, the band made an album, the critics liked it.  It did better than I expected commercially as well - getting to #7 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" The White Stripes (quelle surprise!), Franz Ferdinand, Queens Of The Stone Age and Weezer - all slightly different, but also slightly similar.  But, I was pleasantly surprised by The Raconteurs - I might even listen to it again.  OK, I probably won't - but the thought's there.

14/05/06 - An album very much of its time
28/05/06 - Fine, I guess

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves