Girl, put your records on

Continuing my trip back through the 2006 album charts.

19/03/06 : Corinne Bailey Rae - Corinne Bailey Rae

Well this is one I very much remember - although I couldn't tell you a single track on it apart from the one about the birds.  But it's all lovely chill warbling which will be nice to catch up on.

Yeah - that was sweet - once I'd tracked it down on Spotify because for some weird reason it's not available on Amazon.  I still couldn't tell you any other tracks apart from "Put Your Records On" - I know the "Three Little Birds" bit is a Bob Marley reference, but I always forget it's the "every little thing gonna be alright" song.  But, back to Corinne, the whole album just glides past nicely - it's a real sunny Sunday afternoon album.  If you've liked recent offerings from Arlo Parks or Celeste and you don't know this, then check it out to hear an earlier version.  I assume others were doing similar stuff before Corinne, but I'm struggling to think of anyone quite the same off the top of my head.  Also - it's another one we owned so we've made it to double figures for the year!

We're at #1 in the charts this week - she debuted at #1, dropped to #2 but is back up there this week.  She's on her third week of a 40 week run and she also managed another 17 week run in '07 - a fine effort by the lass.  The rest of the top five are Russell Watson (a new entry), Jack Johnson, David Gilmour and Andrea Bocelli - well done to Corinne for keeping that load of pale stale males off the top (although, to be fair, they were much less stale back then than they are now).  And we have more guys providing a couple of new entries - Vittorio Grigolo (#6 - nope, no idea) and Placebo (#7 - I don't think anyone would describe Brian Molko as stale though).

Wikipedia has more than I was expecting on the album, but most of it seems to be telling us several times that there were some singles released from the album and they did OK.  The critics were mostly nice enough about it, although there were quite a few comments along the lines of "more style than substance" (which is fair enough, to be honest).  The public liked it a lot though, it sold a million copies here and four million globally, making the top ten in quite a few countries and #4 in the US.

"Customers also listened to" - well, I can't tell you because it's not on Amazon.  Sorry!  I'm sure you can guess the sorta stuff though.  You won't put this on to rock out, but it's got a lovely mellow vibe to it so if that's what you're looking for then look no further!

12/03/06 - Impressively forgettable
26/03/06 - A musical peculiarity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I saw your mum - she forgot that I existed

She's got a wicked way of acting like St. Anthony

Croopied in the reames, shepherd gurrel weaves